Daylight

Faith's POV

I roll over in bed as the light from the window shines on my face. I smile at the thought of waking up for the first time in... well a good long while.

Buffy is here. The woman I love is here and I couldn't be happier. Buffy...

I reach over to the other side of the bed and feel the emptiness beside me. My eyes shoot open and I sit up.

Where is she? She was here right? I didn't just dream her did I?

I feel the empty side of the bed and it's warm.

No... she really was here. I can smell her scent in the room again. It's incredible. It kept fading for so long and now it's back stronger than ever. So if she really is back then... where'd she go?

I get out of bed and smooth out the clothes I slept in. I comb my fingers through my hair to try and make myself look pretty for her.

I don't know what Willow did but Buffy's back now and that can't be easy for her. Whatever she's been through, whatever she's going through... I have to help her with it. That's all that's important now.

I walk over and leave the room.

I can smell breakfast on the stove, she must be downstairs.

I start my way down to the kitchen.

My pain doesn't matter, what matters is her pain.

I hear talking in the kitchen as I head that way. I walk into the kitchen and the whole room seems to shine as I see her sitting at the breakfast bar cradling a near empty glass of orange juice.

God she's beautiful.

I'm left without words again as I stand just inside the kitchen, watching her stare at the glass in her hands.

"Faith, good morning..."

Good morning? Well if that isn't the understatement of the year I don't know what is. It's better than good.

"How are you?"

What a question.

"I'm... I'm okay. I'm more wondering how Buffy is."

Buffy seems to squirm at my statement, her eyes never leaving the glass as Joyce and I look at her.

"I'm... fine."

Right cause all that lack of enthusiasm in her voice makes me believe her completely.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah I mean... I'm kinda, I don't know. I guess wigged out is the expression I'm looking for?"

I take a few more steps in.

"Well yeah I mean, after what you've been through? Anyone would be."

"I guess..."

Joyce looks at me with happy concern.

"Well come on Faith, sit down and I'll make you breakfast."

I look at Buffy and she doesn't seem to respond as I make my way over. She shifts uncomfortably in her seat as I sit down beside her.

"I was just telling Buffy about what's been going on. How you've done so much good for this town. Made it safer for people."

"Oh..."

I look down at my suddenly sweaty hands, embarrassed.

Why am I so nervous? Buffy loves me and I love her back. Everything is just fine.