22.

22.

After church, Mom asks where I want to eat. We used to go to Olive Garden after church almost every week, but there's no way I'm doing that now. We'd have to wait a half hour just to be seated. That's too much time alone with Mom.

I suggest China Wan, which is this extremely cheap and extremely delicious Chinese take-out place in an extremely shady part of town. It used to be a cheap-yet-bustling shopping center, with a Dollar Tree, Factory 2 U, and FoodMaxx all in a row. Then most of the stores closed and now there's just China Wan, an island of legitimate business floating in a barren sea of vacant properties and probable money laundering fronts. Mom is hesitant. She suggests the sushi restaurant on the nicer side of town. I shrug my shoulders and say, "I wasn't really in the mood for sushi, but sure." She then changes her mind and concedes to go to China Wan.

We're parking in front when I get a text from Marina: "bad news D: i'm at costco and there are no cheap 6 flags passes for any weekend for the next two months."

I think about it, then text her back: "What about weekdays?"

She sends me a picture of the available options. One jumps out at me: February 14th. And I get an idea.

I text her back: "Get the Valentine's Day ones."

Marina: "That would be so nice~ ^_^ but it's a Friday D: we have school *^* "

I text her again: "I know. Don't worry, I have a plan. It might not work on senior ditch day, but I think it will work on Valentine's Day."

Marina: ?? You seriously want to skip school? :0

You: Yes. Trust me, it'll be fine. I'll pay for the tickets though so even if it doesn't, you're not wasting your money.

Marina: "Nooo! It was me who wanted to do something like this! I'll pay! At least for my own ticket."

You: Don't worry about it. I'll ask my dad. He will pretty much give me money whenever I ask him for some."

Marina: Are you sure??

Len: Yes! You get the tickets, I'll get the money. You can get the overpriced mediocre food if you want. Or pack snacks to smuggle in.

Marina: you know what? sure. this actually sounds super fun. let's do it >:D

"Are you texting Marina?" Mom asks me. We're waiting in line; I've followed her in mindlessly.

The speed with which I put my phone away is probably a dead giveaway that I'm hiding something from her, I notice too late. But Mom doesn't say anything about that. "My friends and I used to talk on the phone every day after school. I can't imagine if I'd had texting during my childhood."

Am I supposed to bond with her over this? I just nod, and Mom asks what I want to order. We wait in line silently for another five minutes before ordering. I stand up and keep texting Marina, this time about what we're going to wear to senior ball, but Mom asks me to sit down. She has bought us each a can of Sprite.

"I thought we could sit down and talk for a minute about your plans for Easter break," Mom says.

Oh no, I think, she's going to tell me I can't go and she's buying me food so I can't argue. This was how she always broke news I wouldn't like. I should have known. "Okay," I say, feeling trapped.

"So, you were planning on spending the break with your dad? I think it would be a good idea," she says.

Okay, that wasn't what I was expecting. I look at her.