Summer: Chapter 24

Börja om från början

“You must understand, that I love my daughter, but we had nothing.  Then this generous, kind, sexy, rich man begins to pay attention to me, and he likes my kid, well, I was in hog heaven.  When he found out where I was living, he set me up in a nice, comfortable home and came to see me anytime he was in town.

“Then Josephine get’s knocked up, and Marty couldn’t stand to see her and me having to raise a baby on our own, he asked me to marry him.  I told Josephine, and a week later, she was gone.  Left me this note.”  Linda stood up and opened the glass cabinet.  She pulled out a sheet of notebook paper and handed it to Min.

Min let go of his fingers, and he flexed them gratefully.  She unfolded the paper and read the note quickly, and then handed it to him.

Linda went on with her story as Silas read:

Mom,

I’m sorry, but I can’t live with you and Marty.  I don’t know where I’m going, but I’ll let you know when I get there.  Just know that I love you, and I’m glad you’re happy again.

Josie

Silas didn’t hear most of what Linda was saying until Min asked, “Did you try to find your daughter, Ms. McKay?”

“Damn straight I did.  Caught her once, but she slipped away from me.  Tracked all the way to the Kentucky line.  But I soon realized that if she wanted to come home, she would.  She’s a smart girl, and sassy.  I worried about her, but I knew she’d be okay…she is okay, right?”

Min smiled with love as she spoke, “She’s great.  She’s healthy and the baby is growing.  I’m not sure about the sassy part – she’s a bit quiet most days – but she has settled in well in our home.”

“What kind of home did you say this was?  A foster home?” Linda asked as she replaced the letter.

Silas answered, “It’s a permanent foster home for teenage girls.  Min cares for six girls presently…”

“All on your own?” Linda asked, shocked.

“Yes,” Min said.  “They are tiresome, but they’re good girls.”

Linda studied her.  “Well, you’ve got more guts than me.  It took all I had to walk down the aisle a second time.  Josephine wasn’t there, of course.”

Min returned her hand.  Silas asked, “Ms. McKay, may I ask about your first husband?  Is he still alive?  Will he be able to care for Nicole – excuse me, Josephine if she decides to live with him?”

“Tyler?  Not happening.  And I’m sure he’s still alive, but if you want to know more, you’ll have to hunt him down.  I’m sure he’s rotting in some prison cell somewhere.”  Linda grimaced and absentmindedly rubbed a scar over her left eye.

Min squeezed, and Silas cleared his throat.  “Would you mind expanding that a little further?”

Linda pursed her lips.  “Tyler hit me, and Josephine.  She was just a tot when I finally left his ass.  Haven’t seen him since, and if I do…well, I’ve got a licensed Glock and two hundred hours of range time behind my belt.”

A door through the kitchen opened and a man entered.  “Linda, baby, where are you?”

“Oh, that’s Marty,” Linda said.  “In the living room!”

Marty McKay walked into the room, dominating it with his presence.  He was a big man, clad in golfing attire, and a fierce jaw line.  His eyes sought Linda, so he didn’t see Min and Silas sitting on the couch.