Fire In The Streets ~ Chapter 8

PUBLISHED: November 3, 2013

EDITED: January 8, 2017

Dedicated to MrsRiku365, because she's an awesome fan and a great person :)

RECAP:

- Vivi rescued Raxmi from Xigbar, and Raxmi realised she might be in danger

- Xigbar taunted Axel about Raxmi

(I didn't realise what a dull chapter the previous one was until I wrote the recap lmao oops)

STORY STARTS:

Axel's POV

  I stared blankly at the dull grey ceiling, laying on my haphazardly-made bed.  Whoever decorated this castle really had no imagination.  Everything was a different shade of grey and white, with only tingles of purple to keep the residents sane.  The bed?  Grey sheets.  The chairs?  White.  Even the rooms were bleak, with one literally called 'The Grey Area'.  The creator must've known who its inhabitants would be:  empty shells, colourless beings, bleak entities that put on a false show for the rest of the world.  The theory made me smirk a little as I rested my head on my arms.  Unusual for me to churn out such philosophical thoughts.

  So then, if this room was established to shelter someone who held no inner decoration, then why did I keep feeling these weird sensations?  It didn't make any sense.  Xemnas says that we don't have hearts.  That we have to slay Heartless to release other hearts.  That supplying Kingdom Hearts with that power with give us our hearts back.  Sure, it didn't entirely make sense, but did it really matter?  It was a solution to a problem that I didn't want to have.  Just hack at the shadow-things, get our hearts back, become whole again.  Piece of cake.

  When we first met, Raxmi asked me why empowering Kingdom Hearts would make us whole again.  And, despite all that I'd been told, I couldn't think of a answer.  Perhaps the whole process was just one of those 'scientific phenomena' that Vexen sometimes rambled about.  Well, if that's the case, then it's no wonder why I couldn't explain it.  'Who ever listens to that nutcase, anyway?'

  A knock at the door jolted me out of my thoughts.  "Axel, we've got a mission in Pride Lands," Roxas called out from the other side.

  I groaned and pushed myself up, taking a moment to stretch myself out.  "Coming!" I responded.  After the mission, we would undoubtedly meet with Xion at Twilight Town's Central Station for some sea-salt cream.  As much as I would've liked to meet with Raxmi, especially after the Xigbar incident two weeks ago, I had to stay away from her to avoid further conflict with the superior Organization member.  'Let's just get this show on the road.'

Raxmi's POV

  Two weeks had passed since the encounter with Xigbar in the tunnels.  Axel hadn't come by at all, so I assumed that the issue with the Heartless in the Haunted Woods had been resolved.  Facing the fact that I would never see him again made my stomach twist.  I'd be lying if I didn't admit that a little crush was developing, but the bigger issue was that such a large source of munny had now been abruptly removed.  The only good outcome of the situation was that Seifer was now appeased with Axel's absence, having never ceased his suspicion of him.

I was walking back home from Seifer's house after doing his homework when my mind began to wander once again to the mysterious Nobody.  We had parted in such rushed circumstances, not to mention that I'd never even said goodbye to Demyx.  At the very least, I wanted to give Axel my thanks for helping me with my financial situation.  'Just face it, Raxmi,' a voice in my head said, 'he wouldn't wait so long if he was planning on coming back.'