Fire In The Streets ~ Chapter 15

PUBLISHED: August ???, 2014

EDITED: January 16, 2017

A/N 2017: Just a reminder that in Dream Drop Distance, we learned that Xehanort can time-travel.  (Thanks, Square Enix.)  Also I listened to the Attack on Titan opening sons on repeat while rewriting the second half of this chapter.  Can't believe Season 2 is finally happening!

RECAP:

- Raxmi and Axel went to Seifer's house.  Raxmi told Axel that her mother was hospitalized for schizophrenia 12 years ago.  They decided to stay at Seifer's house for a few days

- A mystery person found out that Raxmi's mother is a successor of Kouta Taylor, one of the two brothers who passed down the legacy of creating Keyblades.  They decided to kidnap Raxmi before the Organization can take her for their own use.

- Xemnas finds out from Xigbar that Raxmi's mother is a successor of Kouta, meaning Raxmi should next in line to be the one to create Keyblades

- Seifer hates Axel a little less.  Just a little.

STORY STARTS

   I ended up hiding in Seifer's house for almost a week.  The Organization would've definitely been keeping an eye on my house, so returning there wasn't an option.  Hopefully, Seifer's house was the safest option for now, since Axel said no one except Roxas knew that the two of us were such good friends.  The only person who could know where to look would be Zexion, with his ability to identify people's scents, but he still feared for his life enough to stay on Axel's good side.  The other concern was when my father would discover my absence, but Axel had gotten that covered.  He'd simply said that he had a friend who could play some tricks on his memory, making him forget that he was supposed to be checking on me for the time being.  It sounded dodgy, but as long as it worked I didn't want to question it.

  Axel had avoided coming to Twilight Town for a few days, now officially on Saix's bad side.  But now we were finally going to the hospital to visit my mother.  Seifer went ahead of us as we walked there to ensure that no one was lying in wait for me, and then left us at the hospital.  I'd suggest going by a Corridor of Darkness to a back alley nearby instead, but Axel had argued that my using them too often with no protection could damage my heart.

  "Raxmi! It's been a while since we've seen you!" the hospital receptionist greeted me over-enthusiastically. A short, stoutly middle-aged woman, she had built her reputation as being the town's busybody.  Always prying into people's business, she always covered up her nosiness with false concern for her targets.

  Behind me and Axel, there was a bustle of activity.  Doctors in sparkling white coats, nurses in navy scrubs, and cleaners in pale sea-green uniforms bustled back and forth, each of them preoccupied with their tasks.  Twilight Town was so small that most of the ailments treated at the hospital were common, like irregular pregnancies and appendicitis.   Needless to say, they were quite unequipped to deal with mental illness; however, they did the best that they could.  Even though 'best' was subpar.  I gave the receptionist a friendly smile, feeling slightly sorry for her.  She only filled her days with gossip because she had nothing else to do with her time outside of work.  "Hi, Doris," I replied, flicking my tousled hair out of my eyes.   "How's my mother doing?"

  Doris handed me a pen to sign into the guests' registry and bared her teeth in what was meant to be a sympathetic smile.  "Oh, your mother~!" she hummed, putting her book down in preparation to talk. Then she lowered her voice conspiratorially, her eyes lighting up as she began to share her gossip.   "She was fine until yesterday.  She's been begging the nurses to bring you in.   'She hasn't come in nearly a week, something must have happened,' she kept saying.   The doctor had to sedate because she tried to run out of the ward.  Completely off her rocker, they say....well, I'm sure she'll feel right and normal now that her lovely daughter is here~!"