Fire In The Streets ~ Chapter 10

PUBLISHED: January 28. 2013

EDITED: January 9, 2017

Dedicated to TheMelodiousNocturne, for always following everything I post and being an awesome fan :)

RECAP:

- Raxmi learned that her kidnapper was Zexion, Number VI in Organization XIII.

- Roxas found Raxmi in the castle cells, but denied knowing her when Xemnas appeared.  He left to tell Axel what had happened.

- A mysterious person was spying on the interaction between Xemnas and Raxmi.

STORY STARTS:

Axel's P.O.V.

  I leaned against the sun-baked brick wall of the accessories store.  The morning sun was slowly ascending into the sky, altering the atmosphere from the night's golden purple hue into Twilight Town's signature coral, orange glow.  My eyes must've been glazed over and I watched over the meagre scatterings of Twilight Town citizens in the Tram Common, unfocused on any of them.  I was mulling over the strange events of the night, having strayed far from what I expected...

  Not giving any more fucks about the consequences, I had left for Twilight Town.  However, my bravado dwindled down pretty quickly after arriving, and I'd returned back to the Castle That Never Was.  Sleeplessness had plagued me, annoyed with myself for chickening out.  It was only as dawn began to emerge that  that I had actually summoned the courage again to visit Raxmi's house.  In spite of avoid interaction with her, I still had to ensure that no other members of the Organization were harassing her.  That's how I knew her address; I had been keeping an eye on her for the past two weeks. You could call me a stalker, but I couldn't let her get hurt when her only crime was getting involved with me.

  So, I had gone to her house, thankfully only one storey high, and peered through the windows.  She had been sleeping peacefully, curled up under the covers despite the warm weather.  Simply looking at her again had given me a strange feeling, something akin to peacefulness.  Perhaps it was just the sight of someone at rest.  'Or perhaps Roxas is right,' I had thought, smiling in amusement at the idea that his 'you like her' theory was true.  I didn't want the feeling to leave, but I had begun to feel like that creepy vampire from the Twilight movies who watches his girlfriend sleep; the thought had made me feel a little sick.

  Hesitantly, I had tapped the window lightly, not wanting to disturb the rest of the household.  The noise had made her stir in her sleep.  I had knocked a little more sharply, determined to carry through with my initiative.  It was thankfully loud enough to wake her up this time.  Her eyes had fluttered open, and then she had sat up drowsily at the sight of me.  "Axel?"

  I couldn't help a smile creep onto my lips at the sight of her looking bedraggled and half-asleep.  I had waved at her sheepishly, feeling a little guilty now that she was awake.  She had pushed herself out of bed and had opened the window as far as the safety latches would allow it.  Our eyes had met, a questioning gaze on her face.  "What are you doing here?" she had asked, tilting her head.

  I'd smirked, crossing my arms in an attempt to feel more confident.  "Oh, just thought I'd swing by.  Why?  Not happy to see my pretty face?"

  Her eyebrows had furrowed as she tried to process my words.  "How do you know where I live?  Did you stalk me or something?" she had asked bluntly.