Fire In The Streets ~ Chapter 19

RECAP

- Raxmi was kidnapped by Riku and a mysterious person.

- The mysterious person revealed themselves to be Riku's replica named Kagami.

- Riku and Kagami revealed that Axel tried to assassinate many members in Castle Oblivion and manipulated Kagami.

- Raxmi learned that Xemnas's whole being is a successor of Kurai and that he wants to eliminate her in order to get rid of Kouta's lineage.

STORY STARTS

I felt blinded as I stepped out of the room. In stark contrast to the previously environment, the rest of the mansion was so dimly lit that it took a while for my eyes to adjust. Unlike the white room, slick and modern, the surroundings now seemed musty and ageing. We were on the second story of the building, walking along an open corridor connected to a stairway, a stairway so ancient that I felt like it would collapse beneath my feet. A grand foyer was below us, which would have been more impressive if it had been more elaborately furnished; the only evidence of furnishings were clusters of broken furniture and musty portraits that had faded into incomprehension. I couldn't help but feel disappointed. For as long as I could remember, my friends and I had fantasized about being brave enough to explore the Old Mansion. And in my mind I had conjured a much more extravagant interior, practically dripping with lavishness, a hint of the grand inhabitants of the past.

Riku led the way, striding with assurance across the creaking wooden floors. Kagami still had his hand pressed against my back, pushing me forward; he was practically breathing down my neck. As we walked past the beginning of the simple staircase, I decided not to make a break for the exit. My two captors didn't seem too eager to hurt me, but I wasn't about to go testing that theory. Riku had dodged my (albeit weak) fireball while wearing a blindfold, something that I was still trying to comprehend. 'Who knows how powerful these two are?'

With a light push from Riku, the door at the end of the corridor swung open to reveal a musty old library. "Why couldn't we have just made a Corridor to the computer room?" Kagami grumbled, shoving me harshly into the room.

"Hey!" I exclaimed in surprise as I stumbled over my own feet.

Riku caught hold of my arm before I could hit the ground. 'Okay, does this guy have, like, a third eye? Or spidey sense?' "You okay?" he asked. I nodded in response, and then stammered out a "yes" after realizing he probably couldn't see me nod. "Raxmi shouldn't be going through Corridors, Kagami," he continued, approaching a table in the centre of the library. "You know the darkness can corrupt her heart after just one use if she doesn't have a coat to protect her."

"Wait, wait, hold on," I interrupted. "I get corrupted after just one use? I've used them a bunch of times now and I've been fine!"

Kagami laughed. "Sounds like she can handle the darkness better than you, Blindy."

Riku frowned as he pulled out a yellow crayon from his pocket. "We should probably tell DiZ about that..." He trailed off while he began scribbling on the table.

"...What are you doing?" I asked, dumbfounded by his actions. He didn't answer but appeared to be filling in a pattern on the wooden surface; I didn't bother to question him again at this point. A gentle click resounded, and I leapt back in surprise as a tremendous rumbling noise echoed throughout the room. Kagami harshly grasped my arm and yanked me further backwards to the edge of the room, pressing me against the ageing book shelves. "Watch your step," he winked. Frowning, I tried to tug my arm away, but his grip was like iron. The table slowly split itself in half, groaning painfully with each inch of movement to reveal and entire underground room. Compared to the rest of the mansion's interior, it appeared to be almost futuristic with its wired walls and blue lighting.