Fire In The Streets ~ Chapter 5

Published: August 1, 2012

Edited: January 6, 2017

Dedicated to Mad_Hatter_fan.  She's the first friend I made on Wattpad, the first KH fangirl I met here who likes Axel AND Riku, and a supporter of my stories from the start.  You're awesome!

 A/N:  Is this a filler?  Is this extremely late?  Yes and yes.  I'm so sorry for the late update everyone!  Thanks for waiting so patiently :)  I hope this chapter is not completely boring!

RECAP:

- Axel and Roxas told Raxmi about Nobodies, Heartless, and Organization XIII.  She decided to agree to keep their secret.

- For the first time, Axel questioned the reason Xemnas started the Organization.

- Raxmi convinced Seifer, Rai, and Fuu that working for Axel would be safe.

STORY STARTS:

Axel's POV

  I stretched my arms above my head as I wandered around Castle Oblivion.  I had to go see Saix to receive my mission for today, but for now I was trying to avoid him.  At times, it felt like the man delighted in giving me the hardest or most boring missions.  So I stick with the simplest solution: wandering around aimlessly until I run into him or he inevitably hunts me down.  Normally Roxas and Xion would be with me, but Vexen was doing experiments on the two of them.  Poor kids.

  I hoped that my mission would be for Twilight Town.  Yeah, it's a boring world, but a mission would provide me with the perfect excuse to see Raxmi.  I was planning on paying her a decent amount of munny once again in the hopes of convincing her to stick around.  This wasn't a problem, since Xemnas actually gave us sizable amounts of munny for our work.  Hopefully it would be enough.  Although, who knows?  Maybe she would decide not to show up.  I pushed that disappointing thought out of my mind.

  Hah.  As if I could still feel disappointment.

  Two voices drifted from around the corner ahead of me.  Fantastic.  It appears that I found x-face and mullet-boy.  Demyx wasn't bad company, but something about him always felt a little off to me.  Water is unpredictable.  It looks bubbly and inviting and shallow, until you step in and realize it's actually deep and violent.  But then it's too late and you're drowning slowly, or dying from hypothermia, or getting pulled out to sea by a current.  It was the same with Demyx.  He always behaved lazily and cowardly - which was just an act, since he doesn't have the heart to feel cowardice - and made people think he's weak.  But I had seen him in the heat of a battle before and, oh, he is not to be underestimated.  And the way that he talked about some of the memories was sometimes harsh enough to surprise me.  His little care-free persona that disguised his slightly cruel side was enough to make me cautious, but also made him more interesting than some of the other members of the Organization.

  I strolled around the corner and, right enough, saw Demyx conversing with Saix.  "You're finally giving me recon!" he was exclaiming, clearly please with receiving the only work he enjoyed.  "Thanks, man!"

  Saix simply nodded in response, and turned around as I approached.  "Hey, Saix, old buddy.  I've been looking all over for you," I lied.

  Saix looked at me strangely.  "Axel, you don't have any missions today," he stated, ignoring my blatant lie, then turned back to Demyx.

  'Say what, now?'   I groaned as I realized my mistake.  He had told me yesterday that I could have today off.  The interaction with the girl Raxmi had preoccupied me so much that I'd forgotten.   Xemnas wanted us all working ourselves to the bones, killing all the Heartless we can find.  A day off was as rare as him finishing a sentence in less than twenty seconds.