13. Ginger Vamp Scrambled

Start from the beginning

His cool breath brushed my face as he huffed out a startled laugh. "Only you would ever say that. " He ran a hand through his hair. "I don't know how to save her."

I could hear how much he hated that. The same hopelessness coursed through me for several minutes even as Jazz planted a distracted kiss on my head and restarted his pacing. The place where his lips touched burned but gave me a jolt of inspiration. "Eureka! Bell's hair was short!" I squealed.

"So?"

"So we have a canary for when Bella goes batty, right?"

Jasper smirked. "Maybe. Let's just stick to that and look out for her the best we can then." The shining sun continued to make him look silly.

It suddenly made me feel guilty for not telling him about the me kinda dying part, but hey Bella and my deaths always were predestined nowadays.

The guilt make me look away from him and around at his room. Civil war artifacts were scattered around his study and it made me appreciate that I still didn't know a whole lot about him. Sure, him as a soldier had paraded through my dreams, but that was about it. "Tell me about how you were Made."

   He stiffened with his back to me. "Could we not for awhile?" The question came out strained and almost scared.

   I blinked at him. "Why not?"

   Jasper's tall, muscled frame slowly turned around until I saw that his face was closed in a rolling darkness. He walked until I could feel every hard inch of him and I had to look up to see his eyes. His hand gently cupped my face and caressed my cheek.

It was all I could do to sigh into him and not purr.

"I'm not a good man, Mary Alice. I don't deserve this family or you. The moment you looked at me, if I was worth a damn or capable of redemption, I should've left. Given you a chance at something normal and decent and right." As he spoke, he made me look directly at him.

I tried really hard not to look inconsiderate of his words. It sucked he didn't see like I did. "Baby, you do know I would've been James' lunch without you right? Me and Bella both?"

He had the audacity to look shocked at my words.

"You're not a bad man, Jasper. You're not a good man either. You're mine." And with that, I shook off his hands and jumped on him like a monkey.

   Now, when you're well under 5'0", athletic, and want to spring a kiss on very tall guy, this is the way to do it. I wrapped my legs around his waist and then grabbed his shoulders to get up there, but it turned out that all that work wasn't necessary. Jazz reacted quickly as if his vampiric speed made him too impatient for my surprise attack.

His large hands cupped my thighs and bolstered me the rest of the way up. His lips crushed against mine and if I'd thought any control would be handed my way, boy was I wrong. Jazz led every one of our movements in absolute perfection even as I tried my damndest to get control back. It was only when I bit his lip that a small growl rang from his body to mine and he set me down extremely fast.

   His chest heaved in unnecessary, uneven spurts even as he looked at me as if I were the dangerous one. "Don't bite." He demanded while he poked my nose playfully.

   My eyebrows rose even as I drew in a huff of air. "Or what?"

   The mood died a smooth death. "I don't trust my teeth on you." He hugged me close in an obvious attempt to make sure I was still there. "You're so small and delicate compared to me."