Chapter 22: Bruce

Chapter 22 Team Unity

"Thank you for praying with me," Lisa said still holding my hand. I felt warm and my feelings for her kept growing. I felt we had a connection that was more than physical, there was a spiritual connection, along with the emotional. Kindred spirits who banded together. That's why I protected her from Jasmine's argument. I mean, logically, Jasmine is right, but she knew none of us would leave her alone to face those attackers in the alley. To come to Lisa like that made me angry.

"We're a team," I said trying to keep my voice steady and solid. She needed me to be her rock right now. They all needed me to be the rock.

"Are we though?" She said looking around as everyone was either meditating or praying. "It doesn't feel like one." I knew her to be one of those people who tries not to cause conflict and avoid drama. She never went against anything and always seemed to enjoy doing the activities we decide on as a group. Inside her though was a strength of will that questioned everything. Some would think of it as fear of being alone and the unknown. There was something about her that made me relax. I felt more connected to her and Charlie than the other members. In a short time, I knew I didn't' love her, but I felt there was something to explore. If we lived through this. If she would have me.

"I know Charlie and I disagree, but we're close. We both know we have valid points. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes over to apologize first. Shawn already tried to get us to realize we need each other."

She squeezed my hand. "I meant you and me."

My heart stopped. My body tried to cool itself off. I'm glad I was dark enough that I couldn't blush because I'm sure I would be after she said that.

"I mean, yes, of course, you and I are a team." She looked at me and her eyes pleaded to my soul. She wanted to feel safe and secure. She hugged me and I wanted to melt into her arms. "I will protect you," I whispered.

"I know," she said and pulled back. "I know Jasmine is right. We all had a choice the night, but I couldn't leave everyone."

I nodded. "I'm sure she knows that. I think Charlie's right. We're being too hard on her. It's not helping the situation. I can't control my anger well," I couldn't believe I was sharing this much with her. "I have anger management issues. It's one of the reasons I practice Aikido and go to church. I don't want to be this angry person. I'm barely keeping it together. I'm just always angry."

She squeezed my hand again, gently. Letting me know she understood. That she was here for me. For once, someone was protecting me from myself. She let go and I felt a little sad about not touching her.

"This whole situation has been scary for me, but I agree with everyone else. I don't' want to be used as a weapon."

"Good, because if we're going to die we should do it together," Charlie said as he came over. He shook my hand. "I'm sorry Bruce, now isn't the time for us to be mad at each other."

"I'm glad to see you are all getting your heads on right," Shawn said joining us. Imhotep smiled and nodded his head.

Everyone looked at Jasmine who came over. She looked at everyone. She nodded. The room felt cold and like it could rain. She looked at each of us in the eyes and smiled.

"I can be stubborn and impulsive, but I know I can't do this alone. I know we can do this together. I want to say I'm sorry for leading us into this. I'm sorry that I wasn't thinking logically with faith. Sorry, that I drove you all away without realizing it. We are a family. We have to stick together."

The room went silent as her pleas went unanswered. I went up to her and for the first time in a long time. I smiled.

"What's the plan, Jasmine?"