Chapter 10: Charlie

Chapter 10: Scent of Prey

"No," Jasmine shook her head, her face hardened as she took a quick, deep breathes. "We already discussed this. There is no way. We are not Nephilim. We are not fallen angels."

The others stayed quiet. I could feel that they didn't know how to feel or what to think. I didn't either, but the truth remains. We saw demons attacking Imhotep. They came to attack us. We manifested halos and weapons. Then we were ambushed by Lilith, who kidnapped us to experiment on us. Now we had powers. Not only that, but we were having flashbacks of Egypt. I didn't want to believe it, but it only made sense.

"Jasmine," I said. "I know it's hard to believe, Imhotep is right. We are at least connected to these fallen angels. I've been seeing images of Egypt. Bruce, Shawn, and Lisa both told me they saw images of the pyramids. We all seen Moses in the rosebush and the plagues that hit Egypt. That can't be a coincidence."

Jasmine didn't say anything. She looked away from me and at Imhotep. "If fallen angels or demons possessed us, our personalities would be different, right?"

"Yes," Imhotep stopped and pondered his next sentence. "To a certain extinct. You all know the story of Legion?

Everyone nodded their heads. I didn't. I didn't know the bible like the rest of them. I knew the scriptures they teach you as kids. John 3:16, Genesis, David and Goliath. I only knew the verse about "We are Legion. I always felt disconnected from the group because of that. Being the new guy, but also the least biblical. In many ways, I was the most secular. Shawn and Bruce didn't mind. Neither did Lisa. Jasmine, on the other hand, treated me like I was a child. I didn't argue, that wasn't my style. I felt like I embarrassed her. She wasn't like that all the time, though. We had some genuine moments, but I still felt like she didn't trust me.

"Demons and fallen angels can possess a human. In some cases, multiple beings can possess one. This possession causes changes in personality and physiology. That man in Mark 5:9 had superhuman strength. The demons controlled him, but he was still present. He saw all that was happening with his body. Others can control the possession, but it's rare."

"So, is it possible that these angels are letting us control ourselves? That they are staying hidden within us?" Bruce placed his hands on his chest.

"Yes." Imhotep's eyes didn't emote. they reminded me of steel, unforgiving and impenetrable.

"Can we be healed? Or are we going to hell?" Lisa made a fist and with her other hand grabbing the wrist.

"I don't think it's that simple," Imhotep said.

"Then make it simple," Bruce responded.

"He means that our possession isn't normal," I said. "Is it? By now the angels or demons could have shown themselves. There would be no need to hide now. Plus why would they save us from Lillith?"

"Very observant, Charlie. Ito that end, I believe I know which angels possessed you."

"Anubis for me," I said. Everyone looked at me. I shrugged and told them about how I had to study Egyptian mythology for my art history class. I did a paper on Sekhmet. "The Egyptians had several forms. Specific animals, domains, and duties. Shawn, for example, you said you saw an Ibis and didn't know what an Ibis is. The Ibis is a symbol of the Egyptian God of writing and wisdom, Thoth. Your power? To make writing manifests is something Thoth could do as the God of writing."

"Charlie is right. When you told me you saw an Ibis. I knew. Thoth is the only god I know of to hold a specific bird as the ibis. Jasmine, the angel possessing you must be Heqet. The frog goddess of fertility. Bruce, the lunar god, Khonshu, and Lisa Sekhmet, goddess of destruction. Your powers and the animals you've seen in your visions support that fact."