Eight

Eva

It felt like time was slowed down as I walked into the office.

"Eva, welcome back." I hear a cheerful voice and look up from my feet. I throw on my fake smile and nod my head.

"Yeah, it feels good to be back." I say and make my way to my office. When I walk in a let out a deep sigh and look around the room. Nothing feels right anymore. It's like a feeling of someone always standing behind you and just watching you. It's feels as if I have both Alexander and Niccolo on one side of me, breathing down my neck.

The thought of the two mafia men and myself in the same room makes the hair on my neck stand up, and a chill runs down my spine.

"No, you're done with them Eva. Just move on." I whisper and walk slowly to my desk. A knock on my door makes me jump, causing me to drop my bag. I turn around to see my boss standing outside. He opens the door and stares between my bag and I for a second.

"I'm sorry Eva, I didn't mean to scare you." He says and walks on, closing the door.

"Oh, that's alright Alan. I'm just jumpy today." I admit and pick up my bag, placing it on my desk. I sit down and watch as Alan sits in the chair across from me.

"Where have you been?" He asks and looks around my office. I haven't been to work in two weeks, and I haven't told anyone.

"Um, out of state. My sister was sick and I had to leave. Sorry, I've been so busy I hadn't had time to call anyone or tell anyone." The lie rolls off my tongue so smoothly. I cringe internally at myself and the person I've slowly become.

"I see. How is your sister?" He asks quietly and I clear my throat.

"Uh, she's good. Yeah, just in the hospital for a few more days. She should be released in a couple days." I answer, building my lie word by word. I hadn't rehearsed it or anything, it's just what my mind went to first.

"Ah, well. Eva, I'm afraid that there's no way of making this any better than it is. I'm terribly sorry, but I have to fire you." He tells me, not beating around the bush. My jaw drops and my stomach feels like it's disappearing. I clear my throat and laugh, quietly.

"I'm sorry, what?" I ask, shocked by the words I just heard.

"We have very strict policies and we can't have people ditching work for weeks just because a family member is sick. I understand some things are out of your control. But you could've found some time to call in. We've lost several clients, and out reviews have dropped significantly." He explains and my heart sinks. I nod and stand up.

"I'll pack my things." I mumble quietly, feeling the reality of what happened set in. I'll have to file for unemployment. I'll have to take out some savings to cover rent next month.

"Alright, I'll have your check for the rest of the month given to you on your way out. Again, I'm so sorry Eva. And I hope your sister gets well soon." He tells me softly and leaves my office.

The fact of the matter is, I'm not surprised. I know there were going to be consequences but I didn't think that they would be this bad. I look around my office and grab a box, throwing all of my personal items inside. As I pack, my emotions begin to churn inside of me and tears slowly glide down my cheeks. This is my dream job, I've always love working in retail, selling houses and properties and what not.

I finish grabbing all my things and stand at my door, staring around the room one last time before leaving.

*****

BRRM! BRRRM!

My phone ringing wakes me up from my nap on the couch and I sit up, feeling my headache coming on strong.