Seventeen

Eva's pov

My head is pounding as my eyes open, only to be blinded by bright fluorescent lights.

I'm alive? I ask myself as the beeping of machines fills my ears. I turn to my right, nothing and nobody. Just a room that looks like a mini hospital. I turn to my left to see Alexander in a chair, sleeping with an iv hooked up to his arm. I follow the blood filled tube until it ends at the iv in my hand.

I turn my arm over looking at the bandages covering my forearms, small spots of blood in a line among both of them. I'm alive. Rustling breaks my attention away from my arms and I look to see Alexander waking up.

"You're awake." He says, smiling. I just stare at him blankly not sure what to say.

"Why?" The word escapes my mouth before I even realize I'm saying it. My voice is a dry croak and I cringe at how dry my throat is.

"Are you not happy to be alive?" He asks and I sigh, shrugging my shoulders.

"What happened?" I ask and he rubs his eyes. That's when I realize how pale and tired he looks. How much blood has he given me? And why is he giving me his blood?

"Well, I went back to the room and I found you on the bathroom floor. You were lying in a pool of your blood. Then Johnson cauterized your cuts, and he only had one bag of o negative blood. But I'm o negative, so I told him to give you my blood. I wasn't going to let you die." He explains and grabs my hand. I weakly pull it away from him and wince at the pain.

"You're the one who told me to die. You said it right to my face." My voice trails off as I look towards the ceiling, tears clouding my vision. He grabs my hand again, squeezing it and this time I don't bother moving it. It hurts too much.

"I should've never said that to you. I apologize, I feel awful. Eva I know you don't want this life. I don't want this life, but it's what I was born into. I didn't have a choice either. But I understand that it can be harder for you. This is the life I grew up in, this is something completely new and scary for you. I don't want you to die. Believe it or not, I care for you Eva." His soft words make me break down. I start full on balling and he scootches closer, wiping my tears away.

"If dying is my only way out, then I don't want to live." My words cause a silence to fall upon the room. The only sound to be heard is my sobs.

"Please, don't cry. I don't know what I can say to make you feel better. But what if dying isn't your only way out?" His question calms me and also makes me feel more anxious. I turn my head to the left, meeting his eyes as he wipes my cheeks.

"What are you saying, Alexander?" I weakly ask. He looks down, then meets my gaze once more.

"I feel for you Eva, you remind me of someone who meant the world to me. Someone who is no longer here anymore," he trails off and I continue to wait for the answer, "I've already seen you go through a tremendous amount of crazy shit since you've been here. I won't allow myself to ruin your life any further. I'll try and get you out. But getting out of the country won't be easy." He explains and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Why?" Is all I have to say. I don't trust his words, I can't. A noise behind the doors makes us both turn to look and see his father standing in the door way. I can feel his rage from here.

"If you try to take her home. I will kill her." His threatening words make my mouth go sour. He leaves without anything else being said and I turn back to Alexander.

"If I leave I die, if I stay here I'll probably die. What luck." I say to myself and he looks away. I stare at him intently and watch as his eyes begin to water. Tears? No, it couldn't be. He pulls his hand away from me and retreats it back to his lap.