Fourteen

Eva

"Alexander!" I yell and hear his heavy feet pad towards the floor. He pushes the door open and holds a pistol in his hand.

"Shh." He holds his finger to his lips and closes the door behind him. He sits on the little space at the end of the bathtub and stares at the closed door. More gunshots ring through the house, making every cell in my body jump. I hear a scream, then a yell. Then silence.

"What's happening?" I ask frightened. Alexander's looks at me and sighs.

"I don't know. But whatever it is, you're safe wi-" the bedroom door slams open and he immediately shuts up. He leans closer to me.

"If anyone tries coming in here. Hide under the bubbles." He whispers and I nod my head. Outside I can hear footsteps, and low murmurs.

"I know you're in here Alexander! Just give me Eva!" Niccolo's voice yells, muffled by the door. My heart races, why is he trying to get me? Is he trying to save me?

"Nicco-" I start to scream his name but Alexander slams his hand onto my mouth. Silencing me. I try and push his hand away, but he's too strong. The door handle to the bathroom jiggles and Alexander lets go of my mouth. He stands up and points the gun at my head. Seconds later the door busts open and Niccolo falls through the shattered wood onto the floor. He makes a quick recovery and stands up. Pointing his gun at Alexander.

"Drop it or she dies." Alexander growls, pushing the barrel of the gun harder into my head. And he said he wouldn't hurt me. What a fucking liar.

"You wouldn't kill her. I know all about your little plan. And it's not going to work! So. Give me Eva. And I let you live. Don't give me Eva, and well. I guess we'll just have to see who can pull the trigger first." My eyes go wide at his words and my mouth goes dry. Fear courses through my veins, making my body shake.

"If you kill me. You really think that the two of you will make it out alive? Eva can only use one arm. And neither of you mean nothing to my family without me alive." Alexander reasons with him. Honestly making a sound argument.

"Drop your gun. And I'll drop mine." Alexander says. Pulling his gun inches away from my head. Niccolo lowers his gun to his side and I let out a sigh of relief. Nobody is dying today.

I stare at Niccolo as his eyes dart back and forth between me and Alexander. His nostrils flare and he lowers his head just a little.

"No." He mumbles. I watch the events unfold in what seems like slow motion. Niccolo raises his gun but just milliseconds after I flinch at the sound of a gunshot. I watch as Niccolo's body falls backwards and the bullet gears through his chest, blood splattering all over the sink, the counter. And the mirror.

"No!" I scream and jump out of the bathtub. I lean over his body, and grab his shirt. Squeezing it in my fists.

"G-get.. out.. of.." Niccolo coughs and I watch as he chokes on his own blood, some of it gurgling out. Eventually it stops and his eyes stare soullessly at me. I whimper, swiping my hand over his eyes lids to close them. I feel a towel being placed over my body as I tremble, staring at Niccolo's dead body.

"Eva, I'm sorry. I tried getting him to not shoot. But you saw it, he was going to shoot me." Alexander's voice mumbles from behind me, it sounds like I'm standing in the middle of a tunnel and his voice is coming from both ends. I sit up. Grabbing the towel and look up at him. Once I'm sitting up, my head spins and I feel myself falling backwards.

•••••

My eyes slowly blink open and I take in my surroundings. A dim orange glow highlights the ceiling as I turn to the left. I stare at the source of the light, the sunset. My eyes throb and I squeeze them shut.