Fifteen

Alexander

The beeping of different machines fill the silence of the room as I squeeze her hand tighter. It's been two days. Two days since she was put into a coma.

"Here again I see." The doctor calls out as he walks through the double doors.

"Yeah. Any idea when she'll wake up?" I ask, and he just sighs.

"Well. I have good news. And bad news..." he starts off and I stand up. Crossing my arms.

"Okay. So tell me both." I say and he nods his head.

"Good news. She's gonna wake up. Eventually. Bad news, she has taken some harsh damage to her brain. If I wake her up before she's more recovered it could have severe consequences." He explains. I feel a twinge of pain in my chest as I look down at her unconscious body. Tubes and wires all over her body.

"What kind of consequences?" I ask, my voice quiet.

"Memory loss. Most likely short term, but possibly long term. Maybe a few years of epileptic episodes. Possibly worse. This isn't a hospital, I don't have a neurologist on hand so I wouldn't know for sure. But it wouldn't be good. She needs to be in a medically induced coma for at least another week." He finishes, and I nod my head, rolling my lip between my teeth.

"Alright. Thanks doc." I grumble and walk out of the room. I stand in the hallway, a sudden anger creeping through my body. This is all Niccolo's fault. If he had just left her alone, she wouldn't have been dragged here. My dad wouldn't have forced this marriage thing. She wouldn't be in a coma.

"Alexander?" A familiar voice calls from behind me. I turn around and see my oldest friend.

"Mikel. You're back." I smile and he walks up, nodding his head.

"Got back a few hours ago. I was told you'd be down here. How are things?" He asks and shakes my hand in the process.

"Well. Things are not good. We have a big problem. And a not as big problem." I laugh and little and his smile stretches.

"Yeah. I heard. You really killed Niccolo Moretti?" He asks and I look down, then look behind him.

"Yeah, I had to." I mumble and he puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Look, I know you know the consequences of it. But, maybe I can help solve your smaller problem." He assures, shrugging his shoulder. I laugh and little and turn around.

"Oh yeah. Did you become a brain specialist over the last month?" I ask darkly and nod towards the doors. He looks at me confused, and pushes them open. I walk in behind him, crossing my arms over my chest and staring at Eva's limp body.

"Who's that?" He asks and I sigh.

"That is Eva. Niccolo was hanging around with her. He started showing her things about his family. We saw her as his weakness. Then, my father got the grand idea that I should marry her. Because she's innocent enough to 'keep tame' as he put it. But, she also knows about our world." I explain. He takes a deep breath and lets it out, shaking his head.

"Damn man. Why does your dad want you to get married?" He asks and looks at me. I leave the room, nodding my head for him to follow me.

"He said it's because it's tradition. Every time someone new went up, they were married. So, it's just seen as a tradition really. But, also dads sick. He wants it all to happen as soon as possible, but the family won't accept the early transfer unless I'm married. You know, because I need to have a son to pass this down to." I answer and he stays quiet for a bit as we walk back into the main part of the house.