Chapter 14 (Part 1) : An unwanted Job

‘’This is so irresponsible!’’ Julie was saying, ‘’I never expected this from such a responsible guy like yourself. I left this place for your care and you end up beating some random guy!’’ She sounded mad, really mad. But there was concern in her voice, Derrick had earned himself a bruise on his cheek which was nothing compared to what Drake looked like just an hour ago.

The fight was ended by Derrick himself, who just got up from Drake and shouted at him to get out which he compiled with. Drake didn’t really saw me there; he was too busy groaning in pain.

Julie came in a few minutes later and the café was closed, the only ones inside were them, me and Peter. Derrick was still angry, scowling the whole time while my mind was whirling on one thing.

How the hell did they know each other?

They could be old friends but boys like Derrick Carson won’t take crap from Drake. And Drake would never befriend someone who was clearly the most anti-social person.

‘’You don’t get it.’’

‘’Yeah you’re right. I don’t get it why you picked up a meaningless fight with a customer?’’

‘’It wasn’t a customer it was_’’

‘’You need to think a little about this place’s reputation and my reputation…’’ Was it me or Derrick intentionally stopped himself from telling her it was Drake? That certainly proved two things. Julie knew Drake as well, and secondly they were relation by family since she was his aunt.

And I was completely turning into Sherlock Holmes.

‘’You temper is really gonna get you killed someday.’’ Just like I said, she was actually concerned about his bruise, because his temper wasn’t going to harm him. But surely we – those around him – were really going to get killed someday.

‘’Do you get it?’’

‘’Yeah yeah whatever.’’ I heard him mutter. If I was getting scold by my aunt when there was even a single person present, I would surely have died from embarrassment. Either he was good at hiding his emotions or he didn’t give a damn. Given what kind of person he was, it was a latter.

If tomorrow, he comes wearing goth clothes, all black, heavy eye liner, dyed hair I wouldn’t be a least bit surprise because he sure acted like one. But after today I realize how little I knew about him. I mean I just started working here few days ago but I already knew the whole family history about Peter and the two other girls that worked during my shift but about him I was completely clueless. And specially after witnessing his fight with Drake I wanted to know.

When I had enough problems of my own, I shouldn’t really poke my nose in other’s business but I was surprised and confused about them. I was itching to know how they were related. Drake could have been a persistent customer, picking a fight, but that wasn’t a possibility.

No matter how much he was rude, Derrick never directly misbehaved with a customer, let alone disfigure their face. But it wasn’t like I was planning to ask him; I didn’t have a death wish yet.

We went back to work while Julie sent Derrick home. That day even after the incident, many people kept coming. Maybe it wasn’t a big deal for them, but it had been my first experience seeing a fight so I was still a bit fazed.

Julie was distracted the entire time, and I felt sorry for her. She really cared for Derrick, no matter what kind of asshole he really could be.

‘’You’re worried about him?’’ I asked her when the time to close the place came near.