12

Ellis was stood at the front with Anne, Tilly, Moody and Gilbert

Ellis was stood at the front with Anne, Tilly, Moody and Gilbert. Gilbert stood next to her. They were doing a spelling bee.

"Spell avaricious." Mr Phillips looked at Ellis.

Ellis glanced at Gilbert who has been mouthing the letters to her.

"A-V-A-R-I-C-I-O-U-S." Ellis said as she read Gilbert's lips. She was shocked at how nobody caught on to him helping her.

"Spell amorous." Mr Phillips said to Tilly.

"Amorous. A-M-O-R-U—"

Mr Phillips groaned. "Wrong. Sit down." The boys cheered as another girl had to take her seat. "Spell gorgeous." Mr Phillips said looking at Prissy, who was paying little to no attention to him.

"G-O-R-G-I—"

"Ugh, sit down, you butcher of beauty." Mr Phillips rolled his eyes. "Spell Beautiful."

"B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L."

"Ostracize."

Ellis sighed. Gilbert though for a second before mouthing the letters to Ellis.

"O-S-T-R-A—" Ellis stuttered as she said the letter A.

"Wrong!" Mr Phillips shouted.

"I knew it!" Ellis shouted making the class fall silent.

Anne gave a look to Diana which said 'well, obviously you didn't.' Anne smirked and subtly gave Diana a high five.

Ellis clenched her fists and dug her nails into her palms. It wasn't long until Gilbert caught on. He grabbed her fists and slowly her grip released, allowing Gilbert to hold her hand.

"Don't worry I've got this." He smirked playfully.

"All for me?" Ellis gasps sarcastically.

"Sit down Miss Bennett!" Mr Phillips shouted so Ellis let go of Gilbert's hand and saluted as she sat in her seat. "Mr Blythe spell fraternize."

"F-R-A-T-E-R-N-I-Z-E."

"Haughty."

"H-A-U-G-H-T-Y." Anne spelt the word correctly.

"Callous."

"C-A-L-L-O-U-S." Gilbert didn't take his eye of Ellis. He had a huge smirk playing on his face the whole time.

"Penitent."

"P-E-N-I-T-E-N-T." The girls cheered.

"Intentions." Mr Phillips was getting annoyed at the lack of interest that Prissy was showing.

"I-N-T-E-N-T-I-O-N-S." Gilbert smirked as he placed his hands behind his back.

"Persevere."

"P-E-R-S-E-V-E-R-E."

"Engagement." Mr Phillip's said. Finally, something that caught the eldest Andrew's attention.

"E-N-G-A-G-M—"

"That is incorrect." Mr Phillips said and Gilbert let out a defeated sigh.

"Anne you won!" Diana and all the other girls clapped for Anne.

"Congratulations Anne, I should have added the 'E'." Anne nodded at Gilbert's statement.

Ellis turned to face Gilbert and gave him a sarcastic round of applause.

~

"You really had that for me." Ellis said jokingly as they walked home. Gilbert always walked her home from school to ensure that she got home safely. Gilbert always walked her to and from school to ensure that she got home and school safely

"Shut up." Gilbert laughed shaking his head as he looked to the ground.

Ellis looked around at the scenery before smirking,

"Spell tree."

Gilbert gave Ellis a look as if to ask if she was serious.

"That's easy." Gilbert practically laughed. "T-R-E-E."

"Spell dirt."

"D-I-R-T."

"Spell my name." Ellis smiled, it was an innocent smile.

A genuine smile.

"E-L-L-I-S  C-A-R-L-A  B-L—"

"Wrong!" Ellis shouted as she twirled around and looked up at the blue sky. "Gilbert Blythe got it wrong."

Gilbert chuckled at the girl who was in front of him dancing around. He was going to spell Blythe.

Ellis Carla Blythe.

He couldn't help but smile at how it sounded.

OSTRACIZE | GILBERT BLYTHEOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara