52

Ellis stood at the frozen over lake as the boys played ice hockey

Ellis stood at the frozen over lake as the boys played ice hockey. The other girls were all on the opposite side of the lake to the other girls. Anne had just joined them and almost tripped over. Ellis tried her hardest not to laugh at the red headed girl, as she flung her arms around to steady herself.

Ellis watched as Gilbert skated over to the group of girls. She tried her hardest not to roll her eyes.

"Isn't Ruby covering the game?" Gilbert questioned Anne curiously.

"Ruby's very preoccupied. With a certain someone." Tilly shouted. Ellis couldn't help but scoff. Gilbert nodded as Ruby smiled widely at him, he then skated over to Ellis.

"Hey." Ellis smiled, Ruby watched them both jealously. Ellis smirked and took the scarf from around Gilbert's neck and placed it around her own. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Gilbert grinned with a small chuckle.

"Are you going to win this game for me Gilbert Blythe?" Ellis questioned curiously.

"Don't I always Ellie?" He questioned as he began to skate backwards, not taking his eyes off Ellis. A small smirk formed on his face, cockily.

Ellis stood by and watched Gilbert play the game. She cheered every time that he scored.

~

"Let's get you home." Gilbert said as he held out his arm. Ellis linked their arms together as they set off walking.

"So did you see that Ruby was-" Ellis paused to think of the word. "Preoccupied with you?"

Gilbert chuckled,

"Ell-"

"She fancies you Gilbert. She has for years." Ellis giggled as she pulled him to a stop. Their arms were still linked. "Why don't you man up and just ask her out?"

"I-um-" Gilbert cleared his throat. "Come on Ellie. James and Carter must be wondering where you are." Gilbert said quickly changing the topic.

"Probably not." Ellis chuckled. "James is probably helping Bash with the farm and Carter is in Charlottetown with Cole for the night. He'll return early morning."

"Well, lets get you home anyway, out of this cold."