54

Ellis stood beside the other girls as she stared at the notice board

"Diana! Anne! Come see!" Josie shouted as the two had just arrived at school. "Someone has resurrected the take notice board with a post about me."

"This is so exciting." Tilly smiled eagerly.

"Isn't that scandalous?" Josie questioned.

"The scandal will be when folks find out it was you." Ellis mumbled.

"You're just jealous that you're not going to get noticed. Since none of the boys here are interested in you." Josie snapped, as she glared at Ellis.

Ellis rolled her eyes and pushed past Josie to enter the school.

"Are you okay?" Gilbert questioned once he saw Ellis storm in and slam the school door.

"Fine." Ellis mumbled not even looking at the black haired boy.

"Ellie." Gilbert pushed.

"I'm fine Gilbert." Ellis insisted. Gilbert wrapped his arms around the girl and pulled her into him.

"Whatever it is. I'm sure you'll figure it out." Gilbert whispered into her hair.

"Good morning." Anne said walking up to Gilbert, who was hugging Ellis.

"Morning." Ellis pulled away from Gilbert but stayed stood next to him.

"I'm not sure if you're aware, but the old take notice board is active again." Anne said to Gilbert.

Gilbert grabbed Ellis hand and gave it three light squeezes, before saying,

"Take notice?"

"Yes of someone." Anne glanced at Ellis, although she was doing this for Ruby. Anne knew that Ruby wasn't the one that Gilbert had the crush on, it was Ellis. "As in you post in the board when you want to let someone know that you've taken notice. It's a way to make a casual declaration. A quiet attention,-"

"To someone who you like." Gilbert finished.

"Yes. Not so pointed as to be alarming and not so vague as to not be understood." Anne chuckled. Ellis couldn't help but feel jealous. She rolled her eyes and walked away with a scoff.

"Good morning everyone." Miss Stacy said as she walked in. "Perhaps we should begin with algebra today. Not very romantic I know, but maybe that's a good thing."

"You can say that again." Ellis mumbled under her breath.