29

Ellis sat in the corner of the classroom while eating lunch

Alone.

She was surprised that Gilbert hadn't joined her. But instead he sat outside with his head in a book.

Cole looked over to Ellis, she was alone. He contemplated it for a minute before grabbing his sketch pad and walking over to her.

"I have so much to do." Cole randomly blurted out.

"Excuse me?" Ellis raised a brow and she looked up from her cut fresh fruit.

"With the painting of the forest. Would you like to help?" Cole questioned as he took a seat.

"No." She paused. "I'm not a painter." Ellis chuckled. Cole nodded and went to walk off. "But-" Cole turned to face the brown haired girl once again. "-My brother could help. He's a painter."

~

Ellis ran home, through the kitchen, not even bothering to take off her shoes and into Carters room. She would just clean it up later.

He was sat at his desk drawing like usual. If Carter wasn't working out on the farm with their brothers then he was in his room drawing.

"Ellis Carla? Are you okay?" Carter stood up from his seat and walked over to Ellis.

"I'm fine." She giggled, a genuine giggle. "I have news." She looked up at him. "The schools putting on a Christmas pantomime and they need painters to help paint the forest background." Ellis looked up to him with a grin.

"Carter, painting. It's bad enough that he draws." Franklin mumbled as he walked past. James from around the corner hit the back of his head.

"Our brother can do what he likes. Leave him be Frank." James glared and obediently Franklin nodded. The truth was that everyone feared James slightly. He had a violent and impulsive nature and because of this he thrived in the army life.

"He's right James." Reuben said as he ran his hand through his brown curly hair. Reuben got his curly hair from their mother.

"No he's not. James is. If Carter wants to draw and paint then he can draw and paint. You lot are all just jealous that you don't have a talent." Ellis pushed past her brothers.

Carter could not help but smile at the shocked expression on his older brothers faces.