31 | At the Dining Table

☆☆☆ Chapter 31 ☆☆☆

At the Dining Table

I thought that by coming super early nobody would be hanging by or in the dining room for a good fifteen to twenty minutes, but there he was, Daniel's angelic little self, sitting at the marvelous dining table fit for such entities, waiting for our dinner to arrive. He was hooked on a book, but once he noticed I was there his head perked up and followed all of my movements like the affectionate little pup he is.

He greeted me with a soft peck once I sat down. "How did it go today with Dr. Connor?"

"It was alright," I responded, shrugging a bit. "We talked a bit 'bout my childhood and some other surface stuff. Honestly it was a little boring but I know I have to do it."

Daniel's eyebrows furrowed. "Nothing is just 'the surface,' Ane. No matter how small things may look or be, they definitely contribute to something bigger. Every little step counts, is what I mean," he said, caressing my cheek. "But I feel like that's not all in your mind. You look a little troubled. Did something happen? Are you okay?"

I both hate and love how he could easily hit the jackpot when it comes to me. He's really putting all those years of watching me from afar to practice; he knows me well. I let some air out before spilling the beans. "I went to see Jade again."

Daniel closed his eyes for a few seconds, nodding. "Ah, I see."

"Y'khow I always try to go there every time I leave from Dr. Connor's office, and, well, today wasn't any different. But, so... uh, so I went... but── " I needed a little bit of courage, just a teensy bit, but from where can I get it?

Daniel's hands cupped one of mine and brought it up to his lips, to give it soft little kisses of comfort and warmth. "Did... did she say something?"

Looking into his eyes, I prepared myself for something── but for what exactly, I didn't know. "Daniel, you said you've known about me for a while and that you know a lot about me, right? Well, d'you know who Molly was? Who Jesse was?"

Daniel nodded, but his eyes were starting to go someplace else, someplace far, far away. "They're your relatives, but... what do you mean by 'was'?"

I gulped 'cuz I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but from what I could tell, it didn't look like Daniel was oblivious to what was going on, either. "Do I have to say it if we both know where this is going?" I asked, shying away from saying any more.

Daniel's entire self froze. "I mean, Ane, I know I told you I watch over you, but there's a gap── we're talking about years──  in between the times I did that. You... you do know I moved for a few years to the north, right? Right? I moved back here after some time, Ane, and when I came back I found a different... you. It's only now that I'm finding the pieces of your puzzle and putting them together, Ane." He sighed, clenching his jaw. "Gods, Ane. Don't tell me they're also why you're..."

He drifted off, deciding to kiss the top of my head instead. He showered me with some more kisses after that, and somewhere in between them, I felt his strained breathing, along with a sniffle or two. Once again he was hurt, once again he's in pain, sad for me, for himself, for the both of us. It moved me enough to try and speak.

"It... it was definitely, above all else, because of what happened to me, because of... him," I breathed out, squeezing his hands. "But it was also my uncle's death, and my cousin running away from home." I felt my heart race, the adrenaline pump all over me, the heavy breathing catch up to me. "Jade... Jade, she── she got paid to── " Right then and there I felt my eyes burn. Who could have possibly hired her to do that, and why? Was it just a random pick? Was it for someone's entertainment? Who in the bluest of hell is sick enough to do that? "Daniel do I really have to say it? Please, don't make me. I know, I just know it, that you know it. I feel it in my bones, in my heart, in my soul. You know more than what you've said. You and I both know it. So please, please don't make me say it. At the very least, you can connect the dots with what you do know."