chapter 16: a chicken wrap, duh

raelynn robinson pov
5:15am
driving in the RV

"e, pull over at the overlook so we can watch the sunset" i suggested.

he did as i asked and pulled into the overlook, giving us a perfect view of the orange painted canvas that was the sky. it had hints of pink in it, and the golden sun shone through the thin clouds.

i pulled out the spliff that i had pre rolled for the journey and lit it, taking a puff and exhaling the toxic smoke.

ethan placed his hand on my thigh as he stared into the sky intently. he looked amazing, hair still messy from just waking up, dressed in grey sweatpants and a hoodie.

i took another couple of puffs and handed it to ethan, who took it with enthusiasm.

"the sky is so pretty right now" i said.

"not as pretty as you" he said with a cheesy grin.

i laughed at his cheesy comment, placing my hand on top of his.

"thank you for this, e, really" i said.

he leaned over and planted a soft kiss on my lips, stroking my hair as he did so.

"i love you" he said.

i can't believe the way i feel for this boy. it's like everything in the world just clicks into place when i'm with him. he's my safety net.

——————————
12 hours later
ethan dolan pov

we had been driving for a while now, and rae was getting so impatient. we'd spent the last 5 hours screaming oasis songs in the RV and smoking way too much weed.

we had found a place to pull in to park so we could get food and sleep, we were in ohio at some sleazy service station, but i didnt care because i was having so much fun with her.

"what do you want from mcdonald's? i'll go get it and bring it back to the RV" i asked.

"spicy chicken wrap meal with a vanilla milkshake, duh" she said jokingly, making me chuckle.

"ok, get the blankets and stuff for the back, i won't be long"

i stepped out of the RV and the cold, fresh air hitting me in the face as i made my way to the entrance.

i walked into the service station, the fluorescent lights hurting my eyes after hours of driving in the dark.

i looked around for the mcdonald's, and ordered the food, tipping the cashier while i was there.

our food arrived and i eagerly made my way back to the RV as it was absolutely freezing outside.

i opened the door and yelled to rae, "special delivery".

there was no reply.

i got inside the back and my heart dropped to the floor— rae was gone.

"rae?!" i yelled around the car park, hearing no reply.

i instantly went into panic mode. where the fuck was she? has somebody taken her? did she leave on her own accord?