Heart Strings | Shawn Mendes

Summary: Moving back to your hometown of DeLuca Falls is the best choice you've ever made. You promised your Grandma you would come back if she needed you someday, but it turns out you need DeLuca Falls. Going home brings inspiration, love and unexpected surprises when you meet Shawn, an unlikely friend of your Grandma's. Shawn seems like the perfect guy but he holds a secret that may just ruin everything. [werewolf au] [light angst] [fluff]

Word Count: 12k

Welcome to DeLuca Falls, reads the big red sign with hand painted white letters and apples as it sticks out from the forested landscape along the side of the highway. You turn off at a gravel road and head onto the trees that pass the sign and leads into town. You've got your windows down, favorite album playing on the radio and the wind in your hair. The sense of nostalgia hangs heavy as you make your way home.

DeLuca Falls is as beautiful as it always has been. It's the beginning of fall, the trees are just starting to turn. The air is crisp, the skies are clear and the world is full of magic here. Your hometown has always been like a little slice of heaven on Earth. It's small, cozy, just a speck on the map where everyone knows each other and everyone is like family.

As soon as you get into town, the trees opening up to reveal Main Street, you turn onto a dirt road on your left with an old sign the says Birchwood Drive. Its the road that winds around up through the woods to various private residences. When you get to the top of the hill you turn on an unmarked drive that will take you to your grandparents cabin.

Your grandpa died a long time ago, when you were just a teen. Grandma is still here and she's getting old, and you promised you would move back to town one day for her. It's time you made good on that promise, but it's not the only reason you're moving back. There are rumors that werewolves were making themselves comfortable around DeLuca Falls. Your whole life you've been warned about werewolves, growing up in the woods in the middle of no man's land lead to people telling horror stories of the creatures of the night. Your grandpa in particular always made a point to tell you to be careful.

Your grandma is a pretty spry old woman, but age is age. You can't stop the body from wearing out and she is definitely doing just that. There is no way she could fight off a werewolf and you worry about her living in the woods all alone.

As you wind through the trees that you've driven countless times and come out in the front of the cabin, you see someone standing by the wood pile stacking logs. It's a young guy, dark hair, tall, dressed in jeans and a green flannel. From his profile you can guess he is probably your age. You have no idea who he is and your grandma definitely has not mentioned him.

"Hello?" You ask, getting out of your car with your keys in your hand and the man turns around to face you. He's gorgeous, all sharp jawline, soft brown eyes and pearly white teeth as he smiles at you warmly.

He waves, friendly as can be. "Hi! Are you Bibi's granddaughter?"

"I am? And you are?"

"Shawn." He sticks his hand out and you take it. Despite the cold air and lack of gloves, his hand is extremely warm.

"Oh." You introduce yourself just as Grandma steps out onto the porch. "Grandma!"

"Pumpkin!" She hurries down the steps and gives you a big hug. She's so much shorter than you as she rocks you back and forth. "Oh, it's been too long."

"I know Gram." You run your hand over her wooly sweater covered back. "But I'm back home like I promised."

"Yes you are." Grandma steps back and beams at you. "You've grown up so much. You're beautiful. Isn't she beautiful Shawn?"