Picture Perfect | Shawn Mendes Royal AU

Summary: You're a princess and Shawn isn't anywhere close to royal. The two of you get together in secret in high school, but after getting caught together, everything goes to shit. Three years later and you find yourself reconnecting when Shawn is hired to photograph an event for the royal family. The only problem now is you're promised to marry a nobleman but you are still very much in love with Shawn. [happy ending] [slight angst]

Word Count: 12.6k

"Shawn!" You giggle as your best and unofficial boyfriend flops over onto your lap in the library where you're sat studying on a sofa between classes. "Get off me!"

"Nope, you're too cozy," he laughs, looking up at you from your lap.

You run your hand through his soft curly hair. He closes his eyes and you sigh softly. You want him, you want to spend all of your time with him. But you can't. You're a princess and he's not even the great grandson of noble. No matter how compatible you were, you know your parents would never approve of a relationship with him. They wanted you to marry a nobleman, carry on with royal bloodlines, and as the final months of your senior year tick by you know your time with Shawn is becoming even more limited.

"What're you doing after school? I want to try out some new lenses I borrowed from my photography teacher." Shawn says, yawning big and stretching, hand catching some of your hair and twirling his finger around it.

"I'll be ball gown shopping with my mom for the her birthday party next week."

"Gross."

"You're telling me. I hate these fancy balls and events and all this royal crap. I don't want to be a princess, I just want to be normal and do normal things."

Shawn sighs softly. "Yeah, normal. That's not gonna happen."

"We can still hang out before I go home today though."

"But we have class?"

You shrug. "Not if we skip. We could go hang out in the auditorium. I heard the storage space under the stage never gets locked."

"Princess, that's no way for a lady of your status to act."

"Oh shut up," you laugh, smacking his chest. "Its senior year, I've never done anything bad. Are you in or not?"

He sits up and grins. "Only if we get to make out a little. I wanna make some memories before we never see each other again."

"Oh come on. Graduation doesn't mean we can't see each other."

"It does. I'll be going to college and you'll be doing whatever princesses do."

You roll your eyes. "I'll be learning how to govern a country and how to be a proper lady. Super fun."

"Yeah so that means no time for me. So come on, let's go be bad." He chuckles and tugs you off the sofa.

You laugh and wrap your arms around him. "Let's get going then!"

Shawn lifts you up, making you giggle as the two of you head for the auditorium.

Ironically that ended up actually being the last time you got to spend time with Shawn. A teacher had ended up catching you under the stage with Shawn's hand down your pants and mouth on your neck, and they turned you over to your parents. That's when they decided to pull you out of school and hire a private tutor for the remainder of your senior year. They forbid you to leave the castle without an escort, took your phone and limited your internet use. All because you had broken their one rule, no dating and no boys. Two years of sneaking around with Shawn, ruined in a matter of minutes. It was worth it though, having Shawn be your first kiss, your first anything. It was worth it, and you have legitimate feelings for him, so it kills you that you'll never get him back.