When You're Ready | Shawn Mendes | Werewolf AU

Summary: Shawn owns the cafe next to the veterinary clinic where you work. He's a werewolf and you have no idea, but you're about to find out.

Word Count: 8.5k

The bell over the door to the tiny lobby of the vet's office jingles and you look up to see Shawn walking in with a large hot chocolate for you. He gives you a grin and sets it on the elevated countertop. You stand from your office chair and grin at the steamy cup.

"Good morning kitten," Shawn purrs and you roll your eyes at the pet name. "I brought your favorite, my special hot chocolate with extra whipped cream."

"You know you aren't going to win me over bringing me drinks everyday."

Shawn leans on the counter and swipes a bit of whipped cream off the top and boops your nose. "Tell me what you want then and it's yours."

"Shawn!" You giggle, swiping at your nose with the back of your hand. "I told you I'm just not ready right now. I know it's been a month or so but I'm still dealing with my break up with Austin."

"I know," Shawn sighs softly. "I'm sorry he was a dick. My offer is still on the table though, anytime you're ready, I'll be waiting."

"I know."

"My other offer is on the table too," he grins.

"You're not fighting him!"

Shawn groans playfully and pushes off the counter. "Alright, fine. But yeah you should stop by the cafe later if you get hungry. We're doing pesto chicken paninis for lunch today."

"Mmm, we'll see," you smile around your cup.

Shawn pushes the door open and gust of cold air blows in, chilling the backs of your fingers wrapped around the cup. He digs in his pocket, mumbling about "oh one more thing" before tossing you a bag of bone shaped cookies.

"For the pups in the back!" Shawn laughs and you shake your head. He was always spoiling you and the dogs in your care.

__________

"I'm going to lunch Nancy!" You call through the door from your desk in the office to the hall with the clinic room doors.

"Going to see Shawn?" Nancy teases in return and you just roll your eyes. She appear in the hall with a knowing smile on her face. "You definitely are."

"He invited me over for paninis. How can I say no?"

"Paninis huh? Grab me one."

You pick up your purse and step into the hall. "Can do. Anything extra?"

"Yeah! Kiss Shawn for me already!"

"Oh shut up Nancy!" You laugh as you push open the door that goes out the side of the building. You can hear Nancy cackling until the door clicks closed. She was ridiculous.

As you round the side of the building you look up past the Gentle Doc Vet sign and to the Luna Cafe sign with a little wolf howling at the moon next to it. It was so pretty, lit up in purple and blue neon. Shawn was something else.

You push open the doors and Shawn turns around from what he's doing behind the counter to look at you. "Kitten! You made it!"

You blush, deep scarlet staining your cheeks as half dozen customers crane their necks to see who he was talking about. You walk quickly to the counter and Shawn pushes Sam, his usual register guy and bus boy, out of the way gently.

"I could skin you alive for calling me kitten in public right now," you whisper angrily.

"Sorry, it just slipped out. Please don't be mad at me. I made you lunch, it's all ready and-" Shawn stops mid sentence and leans in a little closer. "You smell really good today."