All That Matters | Prince AU | Shawn Mendes

Summary: Shawn is a prince looking for his princess. What happens when he falls for you, the assistant to a Lady he's meant to be courting ?

Word Count: 6.5k

The streets of Port Neruda pass by in a blur. Homes start looking the same, shops, everything about this small town blends together because you've been in the car for so long. Your brain is going numb. Beside you is your boss, Katrina the duchess to be of West Highland. You're on the way to meet Shawn, the prince of the entire Eldin region, and as her assistant, you're forced to tag along.

Shawn is meant to find a wife within his twentieth year, and being much of a home body, he hasn't found one. So his parents sent out word that he would like to meet with any eligible of age ladies of nobility within the region. Supposedly he'd already been through three women, none of which seemed to have anything to say about him besides the fact that he was not very prince like. Whatever that meant.

In the approaching horizon you can see the castle, an elegant sprawling stone and brick establishment. The driver turns on to the long bridge over a huge ravine that connected it to the town. It looks like something from a fairytale and you can't say you've seen anything quite like it. The ride on the bridge is quick, though anxiety inducing when you see a few crumbled bricks on the side, and in no time you're driving through a security gate and into a huge circular courtyard. Standing by the huge wood double doors is an older couple with smiles on their faces. The King and Queen of Eldin

"I already love this place," Kat says with a grin. "I can't wait to live here."

You roll your eyes but nod attentively. She really thinks Shawn is going to like her. She was so boring, so dry, it was hard to like her at all. A brick wall had more personality. Oh look, there's one now. Covered in ivy, blossoming flowers, yep that wall has much more personality than Kat. She was a cookie cutter, never done anything bad, had her whole life handed to her on a silver platter, daughter of a nobleman. Everyday you wonder why you remain her assistant and then you remember your bills.

"Welcome Lady Kat," the Queen says excitedly greeting Kat as she gets out of the car first. Kat returns the greeting with the same enthusiasm and air kisses. Awful friendly for a woman she just met. Kiss ass if you did say so, but nothing new with Kat.

"Shawn will be here momentarily. He was out in the courtyard for some fresh air," The King says with a soft smile. If Shawn looked anything like his father, he would be quite handsome. Kat was lucky.

"We're so happy you could make it. How was your drive? Surely you must be tired."

You tune out The Queen and Kat as the double doors open and a tall young man with dark hair steps out, closing it softly behind him. He is covered in mud from the knees down and wearing rain boots with bits of hay stuck to them. His flannel shirt is rolled at the sleeves and open to reveal a black tank top underneath. He's so gorgeous, you can't help but take in his shy smile he casts toward you as he steps towards The King. You're sure he's a stable hand come to tell the king that Shawn would be late or something.

"Shawn, you made it just in time. Lady Kat just arrived," The King says, gesturing to you and Kat.

Your jaw drops and you're sure that you are making an awful gaping fish face as you down right gawk at the man before you. What prince showed up to meet a lady of nobility dressed like he just finished shoveling shit in a horrible stall? You stifle a laugh, you really can't help yourself, it's just hilarious. If this was who Shawn was for his first impression, there was no way Kat was going to be of any interest to him.

"Something wrong?" The Queen asks you, and you shake your head, wiping the smile off your face, quite literally.

"No Your Highness, I-I was just thinking of how much Shawn is going to love Kat when they get to know each other. I can't wait, " you smile falsely, eyes making contact with Shawn's. He gives a coy smile, as if he knew you were being a sarcastic twit. He was something else.