Alone Together - Non AU

Summary: You and Shawn have been friends since you were in high school. The two of you never got together, the time was never right. Now at twenty five you've got a lot on your plate and Shawn is there to help out. [non-au] [fluff] [sfw]

Word Count: 10k

A wedding dress hangs in the closet of a house that's not yet lived in. New things fill the rooms, the paint smell and new wood odor not completely gone yet. Funny. You're not sure why you decided to bring the dress to the house first, maybe just to put new with new, maybe just to remind you of what was never meant to be. You look around. Everything is perfect, beautiful and so...lonely. Never in your life had you had a new home, never did you have all new things. This was a first and you just have the hardest time wrapping your head around the fact that this is all yours. It's all yours and no one else's.

The phone rings and you pull it from your pocket. It's Shawn. Your best friend from high school, your long time crush, the one guy you trust above all others. "Hey," you answer softly.

"Hey, what's up?" It's so good to hear his voice. Soothing and just as calming as you remember. It's been ages since he's called. You always text, and even then with his hectic schedule he doesn't always have time to chat.

"Nothing. Just bringing stuff to the house."

"Oh you did get it! The documents were in your name then?"

"Yep." You lay back on the unmade bed and stare at the fan overhead turning lazily on low. "Everything is in my name. The house, the car, I took everything."

"I still can't believe Evan did that to you. I wish I could beat his ass."

"Yeah I know. God, can you believe I actually thought he loved me? What a joke that was."

Shawn sighs and the two of you remain in silence for a while. "He really just wanted you for the money huh?"

"Yeah," you chuckle sadly. "Glad I figured that out. How he managed to skate by for two years without letting me know he was collecting disability on a fake injury and using most of it to buy alcohol, I will never know."

"Disgusting. Well I was just calling to check on you. I know it's been a few months and we've talked a few times but I just wanted to make sure you're good."

"I'm figuring it out. Thanks for calling though."

"Of course, don't feel bad about calling me if you need me. I'm in town."

"I'll keep it in mind, but anyway, I'll talk to you later okay?"

"Can I stop by at the end of the week?"

"Sure. I'll be all settled in by then. You're actually home?"

He chuckles. "Yeah, I'm home. Talk to you soon, later tater."

You giggle and let the phone fall beside your head. Shawn always made you feel better. He was truly a gift from the Gods.

_________________________

"All moved in?" Shawn asks as he walks into the house and looks around. "Looks great."

"Yep."

"You don't sound thrilled."

"I'm not. It's so big and empty without anyone here. I should have just sold the place, but I had all the furniture already and I even picked out the counter tops. God. This shit blows."

"Honestly I can relate to the lonely house feeling. It's pretty garbage, so I always go out or have company." Shawn flops on the couch and sighs. "I can stay over a few days if you want?"