Falling For You | Personal Assistant | Non AU

Summary: You're Shawn's personal assistant and after a misunderstanding with fans he get the idea that you could be his fake girlfriend to avoid being roped into a messy publicity stunt with a girl he doesn't like. The thing about that is, both of you have feelings for each other that are less than fake and acting on them while pretending brings out the truth.

Word Count: 11k

The moment you check into your hotel room and get settled Shawn is knocking on the door that joined your rooms. You open it and roll your eyes at him because you figure he's just up to his usual shenanigans. He always did this when hotel rooms had shared doors. You think he secretly liked the idea of sharing a room even though he always insisted he hated sharing them.

"Yes? How can I help you?" you ask in your most formal voice, teasing him.

"Can you do something for me?" Shawn asks as he pulls his ring off his finger. It's the one with the two overlapping feathers that he had gotten in Japan last year. He never took it off. Not even to shower as far as you knew.

Your eyes go to his hand and then to his face. Okay this wasn't a joke, he was seriously asking you to do something for him. "Yeah, what's wrong?" you ask as he holds his hand out with the ring in it.

"I want you to hold on to this while we're doing the press tour here."

"What?" You look down at his ring and he back up at him. "Shawn, you never take that off. What's going on? Did something happen?"

Shawn pushes the ring into your hand and curls his fingers over yours. "Last time I was in Europe for a while I ended up losing my other one. Remember how fucked up I was?"

You shake your head. "I wasn't here for that. I do remember you telling me you lost it though. But are you sure? I mean if you never take it off then how could you lose it?"

"Please," Shawn says softly, squeezing your fingers a bit. "Just humor me and hold on to it." You sigh and agree to do as he asks. If would give him a piece of mind what would holding on to it for a few weeks hurt?

_______________

Four days. That's how long it took before fans noticed his ring was missing from his hand and that it was on a chain around your neck. You thought nothing of putting it on a chain you picked up in a corner store for a couple bucks. You just figured it was safer on you than sitting in your luggage in the hotel. Big mistake.

First, fans noticed it was gone from Shawn's possession. That sparked a huge discussion across multiple social media platforms. You had seen everything from theories that he lost it, gave it to someone, or left it at home. Shawn didn't bother to address the topic as it wasn't that big of a deal to him. He knew where it was. That was what mattered.

Then...then you were pulling off a hoodie you had been wearing because it was getting pretty warm that afternoon and you happen to be wearing a v-neck shirt that showed the necklace. For some reason a couple fans snapped pictures of you and someone pointed out that you had the ring. It shouldn't have been a big deal. You were his personal assistant, you had his things on you all the time. This wasn't anything new. Hell, you carried his wallet and his phone sometimes, it wasn't a big deal.

But to fans that ring meant something. It meant something that you had it and you were wearing it around your neck. That 'something' was that you and Shawn were hooking up. Which was not the case at all, but try telling that to an irrational fan who thinks Shawn owes them his loyalty. Go on. Try.

So here you are now, standing in Shawn's hotel room with Andrew and Geoff parked on the small couch near the window while Shawn laid out on the bed with a pillow over his face.