Chapter 27 | For The Love Of Him

Începe de la început

And then for the following two weeks Mimi never returned though sometimes I could hear Michael talking to her through the phone and when I asked him about it he would tell me it was nothing to worry about.

I couldn't really hound him about it though because at that time he was preparing to head back to New Orleans for his hearing for the charges that were pressed against him.

While he was gone Lina had managed to take off of work for a few days and Michael flew her to L.A. I was still restricted on my diet and the cast on my arm and leg made going to and from the bathroom for the shower or the toilet by myself a challenge.

Michael generally helped me, but with him having to leave he called Lina to come and help me out. My grandma of course, though I told her it was okay, drove the two hours and stayed for a weekend with us. I didn't mind though and Lina especially didn't because she got old fashioned home cooked meals. But I was still on liquids and receiving lectures about life from my grandma.

It'd been better if I could've chewed on some macaroni while she was chewing me out, but alas ensure would have to do.

After about three days I wanted to be by myself or was hoping that Michael was going to be back soon... that's if they hadn't thrown him back in jail. Which after four days I was happy to find out they didn't. The prosecutor was trying not to allow the court to include the extent of my injuries in Michael's defense, but it was deemed admissible, so Michael's lawyer was able to use it for his benefit.

Vigilantism was frowned upon in the police force, and even in the eyes of the law, and they couldn't let him get off scot-free but with his new found turn in life with all his charity work as well as the fact that he hadn't been in any kind of legal trouble in almost seven years he didn't get jail time.

He did, however, get a large fine, community service, anger management, and five years of probation. The five years of probation is what made me take a step back, but I had to think on the bright side. He could've been doing five years in jail. So, I was content with the probation.

Slowly, but surely, it seemed like everything was falling in to place. Now all I had to do was wait until Michael flew back in, so we could have an actual conversation about what was going on.

"How does it feel?" Lina asked, raising her brows.

I was face deep in a bowl-yes bowl full-of eggs. It'd only been a little over a day since the wires were removed from my mouth and I was slowly easing into soft foods. Yesterday I'd stuck to my liquids, but today I needed sustenance.

So, I'd had a few packs of oatmeal for breakfast, some Jell-O and pudding cups for snacks in between and now I was eating four eggs with several servings of egg-whites, salt, pepper, and cheese. And my stomach was thanking me for it.

"Good," I said my voice raspy. Seven weeks without using your voice took a little tole on your voice box. My voice was already relatively deepened and now I truly sounded like Barry White-in the words of Lina- but as the hours passed I knew it would heighten to its original tone.

And now that I could finally speak how I truly wanted... I looked up at Lina. She was eating eggs with me and not teasing me with good L.A. food like she had the first night she was here or with the food my grandma cooked while she visited. Which after I went to get the wires removed from my mouth we'd dropped her off at home per her request.

And don't get me wrong, I loved my grandma. Grandma's were great, but after of while it was just... well, no.

I was happy though. Happy that the only thing I was experiencing was a little discomfort and slight pain, but the casts were off and so were the wires. The only thing slightly hindering me was the brace I was instructed to wear at all times on my knee when walking for the next three to four weeks. I didn't mind though because I was just happy to be out of the cast.