6. A promise

Hook asks, "Who made you angry? The bricky girl or the church bell Lady?"

"You called her bricky girl. She isn't jammiest bits of the jams," mocks Hanks.

Hook smiles. Jammiest bits of the jams. It means perfect young female. Ellie would fit that description too well. Bricky is a slang term in Victorian for fearless person.

"I'm glad the church bell Lady hasn't caused you any trouble lately," says Hook.

Hanks is silent.

He rarely had problems with women in the past. Now he got annoying teenager girl and a lustful step mom.

Church bell is a talkative woman. It's odd that a talkative guy like Hook couldn't stand someone like the Baroness. Not in daily basis.

Hanks is walking, going further and further from the manor. It's his habit to exercise his legs when he needs to think.

Hook follows him. Hanks would regret this long March later when his peg leg hurts too much. He might even need help to come back home.

He greets, "Hello, gigglemug. It's a fine morning."

Ellie smiles to him. She looks slightly disappointed when Hanks just walks past her as if she's total stranger.

"Don't worry, gigglemug. He is just a normal man. Bang up to the elephant. Don't loose hope yet."

Hanks is certainly unapproachable, like approaching an elephant. Where was the kind boy whom helped me with the bullies?

She is startled when Hook touches her smooth cheek.

He praises, "Don't frown. You look much prettier when you're smiling."

Her breath hitches.

She asks softly almost like a whisper, "Why are you calling me gigglemug?"

"Because whenever I see you, you smile back to me."

Hanks has walked quite far from them.

Hook says, "Have no fear. This chuckaboo would help you nail your future groom."

He has gone to follow his grumpy friend.

A chuckaboo. He wants to be my close friend. My heart is thumping so fast. What's going on with me? Why I feel so happy? Young master Hanks is a podsnappery. A real nobleman. He always felt out of reach.

The young maid is walking home, carrying the stuffs the Baroness asked earlier. She loves to make her own cosmetic products from natural ingredients.

*****

As predicted, he found Hanks lying his body against a large tree trunk. Unable to walk any further. His leg must hurt pretty bad because he hasn't refused it when Hook offers a hand. He puts Hank's left arm on his shoulder and helps him to walk home.

Hook asks, "You know people used to call you the devil himself. And you couldn't handle a girl?"

"She refused to wear a dress. Even a threat won't make her budge."

Hook mocks, "You sound like a boring old man. Someone in dizzy age."

"I'm not that old yet!" yells Hanks.

He suggests, "Take the egg, old pal. She thinks she's a boy. Treat her like a boy."

Hanks is silent. An idea just crossed his head.

He smiles and then he says, "She wants to be a boy. I shall treat her like one."

Hook shakes his head. That gleam in his eyes. That bricky (fearless) girl is going to be in trouble soon.