Ch.II My fiancee

"What?" yells Vanessa angrily

"What?" yells Vanessa angrily. "You would marry Gregor Trentham. He is a good lad. Not a goofball like most noblemen," says her father coolly while reading his newspaper.

He drops her the big news as if he was only talking about the weather.

"Why?"asks her.

"He is a brave lad. He would be a good husband for you," says him. "But I want to travel with you!"

"It's improper, Nessie. A lady should study to be a good housewife. Not travelling around the world." "Please, papa! You have promised!"

Her father looks tired. He says, "Don't speak too loud. How many times I have to tell you?" "But you talk louder than me," protests her. "I'm a man. A soldier. And you are a lady."

"No, I'm not," says her while leaving the dining room. Slamming the door in the process. General Hoyt sighs. He could handle hundreds of men. He couldn't control his own daughter.

He should have assigned a governess for her when she's younger. Now it's a bit too late for it.

She's fourteen years old. And he has arranged a wedding for her. With a suitable man. Hopefully they would have a happy marriage.

Unlike other noblemen, Gregor Trentham seems honorable enough. He doesn't drink too much. He never has gambling debts. And he isn't exactly a womanizer.

Vanessa has a hot temper. Marrying a playboy might mean her husband's death. She would never accept a cheating husband.

*****

Tonight she would finally meet her fiancee. And she really hates the idea of engagement. She has wished to travel with her father when she got older. To see the world together with him.

Something he has promised years ago. When she was still a little girl mourning for her mother's death.

The young man looks like a tough soldier. Short cropped brunette hair. And calm blue eyes. He is quite a good looking fellow. She would have liked him if he wasn't her fiancee.

She usually mingles well with soldiers. She grows up in abroad after all. And she often meets them whenever her mom took her to visit her father in the barracks. But tonight she has desired to irk him.

The General has taught her everything he knows. From self defense to military tactics.

Because she's living in a small village just outskirt of the barracks. Too near lonely soldiers. Now she's using the knowledge to irritate her future husband.

"Miss Hoyt," greets Gregor politely while taking off his hat. "Sir," greets her rather coldly. It's impolite for her for not making a curtsey during introduction. But she isn't here to be a good fiancee.

The dinner is quite a pleasant one with the chef's special stew, lamb chops and a fish dish.

Vanessa eats a lot despite her father's angry glare. She never eats like this. Like a hungry glutton.