Ch.VIII The one I love

"Something big happened...

I'm sorry, Greg...I'm sorry...

Our engagement is off. I'm sorry...

I couldn't marry you...not anymore...

--------------------------------------------------------------

The letter wasn't signed. But Nessie definitely has written it. Some smudged ink as if she has been crying while writing it.

(She's always a cheerful woman. What happened? I must find out myself. No reply when I wrote back to her.

It's ironic. I seldom write back to her and she always wrote to me. After she stopped writing, I realized how lonely I am without her letters).

Greg is in deep thought.

A lady smiles to him and he smiles back to her.

Lady Jasmine Jelena is a beautiful woman. Can't believe she is still unmarried. Her father, Marquee Arlington is quite a rich nobleman.

A big dowries has been prepared for her. Still she seldom dance in season. A wall flower despite her dowries and pretty looks.

There's only one reason.

She looks just like her mother, an Indian woman.

Their parents met in India when the Marquee went to buy a plantation. She was his servant. And he married her despite their large differences in social status.

Gregor Trentham has talked to Lady Jasmine in several occasions back in India. They met and danced several times in small parties held by fellow Englishmen.

It's a small community so they met quite often. The Marquee has entrusted her to Greg when he knew he was going back to England too.

The Lady is coming back for the next season. Her father has stayed behind because her mother isn't feeling too well for a long voyage home.

(She looks so lovely. Hard to think why men won't notice her. I kept dreaming about her lately. In my bed. Looking at me with her almond shaped eyes. Wanting me...)

Greg shakes his head. He has been engaged to Vanessa Hoyt for ten years. Not once, he felt horny toward her.

Feeling horny to Lady Jasmine Jelena is a huge sin. He has a good fiancee. And this lady is a close friend to Nessie.

Suddenly a loud explosion is heard.

Another ship has rammed toward them.

Pirates!

Greg runs back to his cabin to grab his weapon.

The sailors fought bravely. Finally they won. The pirate ship has withdrawn immediately.