Ch.X Gone...

"Val, we have been here a whole week!" protests her. "I know. It's been an awesome week," says him while kissing her bare neck.

"No! Don't touch me!" yells her while pushing him away. "Why, honey?"

"You promised to marry me, Val! We have made love many times. Still you haven't married me yet..." "I thought we were doing great..." "Val, where's the priest?"

Val shrugs his shoulders. And he just left. Just like that.

Nessie collapses to the bed and weeps bitterly.

(Val...did you lie to me? I believed in you...)

She has been crying for a while till she's a bit hungry. No sign of Val. He always disappeared when marriage is mentioned.

Nessie washes her face with water from a basin. Then she goes out. Hard to convince a rogue like Val to settle down in a marriage. But she will leave him if he wouldn't marry her.

(Where should I go? I have nowhere to go. Val is right. Without money, I couldn't go anywhere...)

Riding a bike through countryside. Rougher than city streets. This is what she loved from Val. He always introduced her to new stuffs. Bicycle is only one of them.

Picking wild flowers from the fields to decorate their humble hut. Buying simple breakfast from neighbors.

(I really need to cook something. Maybe I could ask a farmer's wife to teach me cooking. It's cheaper than buying foods...)

Night has fallen. No sign of Val yet. He always comes back at night fall.

Hugging herself. Covering herself with a thick blanket. Scared and lonely.

(Where are you, Val? Did you abandon me? You got bored and left me? I knew you never settle long for a woman. I thought...we have something special. Maybe I was wrong...)

Tears fallen but she rubs them away. Sleep first. Things would get better in the morning.

Val doesn't leave much money at home. Must do something about money.

*****

Morning comes and still no sign of Val.

(Let's face it. He has left me. I have to work for a living. I couldn't go back home. Not after I humiliated father like that).

Vanessa stretches her arms and head.

Time to be brave. Charge!

That's what her father always said if he faced difficulties.

"Excuse me, Ma'am...I got no money. Is it okay if I helped out in the field? And you pay me with food as exchange?"

Her face reddened. It's the first time she begged for something in her life. The first time she did something alone.

The fat lady is a farmer's wife. She says bluntly, "He dumped you? I knew he isn't a good fellow. He looks a bit sly."

"Val hasn't returned after our last argument." "You will find a better man. Our village has many suitable men. Good diligent workers." "I only need food, Ma'am. Not a new husband."

They have lied to the villagers. Saying they're newlyweds.

She pities her so she says, "I have plenty kids to feed. But if you could help me with chores, I might be able to spare some food..." "Thank you, Ma'am."

Feeding kids are annoying tasks. They kept running,spilling foods or crying like mad banshees.

Doing laundries made her hands dry. And weeding the field made her hands bleed a little.