Chapter 20: Truth or Dare

Shayd's POV

I sipped the cool water, resting my head against the pillow. This was the first time in a long time since I had been able to let my mind rest, and it felt amazing. But now, my mind could finally process the events of the past few days, months for the others. 

The others-

Blake was missing. 

"What happened to Blake?" 

The room fell silent. Joseph, EJ and BEN glanced at each other warily. Just by their looks, I could already tell what happened, but I needed to hear it, to hear the truth from one of them. 

"He-he didn't make it." Joseph murmured, avoiding my eyes. I forced down the tears, choking back a deep sob. I felt a pair of arms wrap gently around my shoulders. Aspen smiled, her eyes were glassy, too. No one dared break the silence for a long time. We sat in the presence of each other, listening to the floorboards creak and sway in the wind. The noises were the only things keeping me from breaking down, they kept my mind focused on something other than Blake- other than the fact that we had lost him. 

~~~

BEN's POV

I inhaled deeply, breaking the silence. 

"We should play a game." 

"What?" Joseph snapped. "One of our friends just died, and you want to play a game!?" Aspen placed her hand in front of Joseph's face, silencing him. 

"That's a good idea." She acknowledged. I was honestly surprised that someone agreed with me, after all, it was my way of coping. If something goes wrong, I like to pull out a DS or something. In this case, we didn't have a DS, so we had to play one of the 'classical' games. 

~~~

We took to a vote and decided on Truth or Dare. I couldn't say I wasn't happy about it, because I was. It might not be the most comforting game, but it was hella fun and who knows what type of dirty dares someone might ask. It would help get our minds off the events of the past few months, and it was a great ice-breaker. Of course, EJ despised the idea of playing Truth or Dare, but everyone else, especially Shayd insisted we played. It started off pretty normal with a handful of random questions like 'what's your favourite colour?', with the occasional stupid dares. The entire night, we were laughing, enjoying each others company, that was until EJ surprised us with his dare. For someone like him, it was a shock. 

"Dare!" Shayd said, her eyes presenting a challenge. 

"Shayd, I dare you and another male to- to stay in that closest over there for a minimum of fifteen minutes." Shayd stared at him, stunned. Aspen cracked a laugh at her friend's reaction, and I couldn't help but smile too. "Do we have any volunteers?" EJ continued, his eyes studying both Joseph and I. I barely even hesitated before raising my hand. Shayd stared at me, flabbergasted. 

"You've got to be kidding! There's no way two people can fit in that!" She snapped, struggling as she might, EJ still managed to push her into the closet. It was awfully small and very dark. I was shoved into the closet next, pressed against the clothes to one side, my shoulder brushing Shayd's on the other. She tried to push open the door, but it wouldn't budge. She huffed, leaning back against the wall with a loud thud. 

"So, this sucks." She murmured, turning to face me. It was hard to make out her features in the darkness, but her silhouette was somewhat visible. I heard muttering from outside, but it was hard to make out. Whatever they were saying, I knew it wasn't anything good. 

~~~

Shayd's POV

So, I stood, staring in the darkness. I felt my face heat up a whole lot, my forehead peppered in sweat. It was getting really hot now, which made this situation so much worse. Here I was, trapped in a closet with an infamous serial killer because of a dare! I knew it was a dumb idea from the very start, but now I had been roped into the worst of the dares. 

"You- you feel really hot," BEN stated, without directly touching me, he could tell. 

"So what?" I answered in a hushed tone. I would have crossed my arms, but there wasn't enough space. BEN shuffled, pressing closer to me. I should have shoved him back, but I didn't. In all honesty, this closeness was the least of my worries. 

~~~

A few more minutes passed in uncomfortable silence.  BEN finally broke the silence with a quiet cough. "So- erm, what do we do?" He asked, tensing a little bit. I shrugged, feeling the cloth rub against my skin. I felt BEN's breath against my skin and I shivered. I felt my face heat up again and I hated myself for it. 

"W-whatever you have planned, I-I say no," I stammered, shoving him back a little bit. He groaned dramatically, but that didn't stop me from trying to place space between us. I only had to endure this for a little bit longer, then I would be all fine and we would never talk about it again. I really doubted that, though. 

"Y'know what, it kinda sucks you have to do this," BEN muttered, his red eyes seemingly glowing in the darkness. "I mean, you clearly don't care about me."

"What...?" I asked my voice barely even a whisper. I knew that whatever BEN was doing was just a trick, but it still left a twinge in my heart. He was forcing me to feel sympathetic for him, and I fell for it. He just shifted the entire situation, and it made me feel terrible. "I'm not- oh, sorry." 

BEN didn't answer. He just stared at me, the dull glow filling me with fear. His eyes, they looked so sad and gentle at the same time- I couldn't decide if I wanted to punch him or-

"Ew- er... no." 

BEN chuckled, shrugging lightly. I swear he could read my mind, or I was just really easy to read. Both of those thoughts triggered me. 

"What can I say, 'emotions suck?'". I punched him lightly. 

"No, you suck." 

For some reason, we both broke out into laughter. The tension wafted away, and I finally didn't feel so awkward. Sure, BEN was a cool guy, but he was still weird and stuff. I definitely didn't like him in that way. No, that was just weird. 

Our laughing fit was interrupted by the door creaking open. I fell forwards, out into the open space again. I felt really hot against the cool air outside. 

"Guess you've come out of the closet." Aspen smiled, striding over to us. I heaved a sigh, glancing back toward BEN. He was staring at me, his expression a mix of fear and something else I couldn't pinpoint. 

"Oh god," EJ muttered. 

Hi guys! So- if you wanted to know- this chapter was a little bit of a break from the tension and stuff, maybe a bit of a lazy chapter. It's not the best, but I felt like it was a good idea. Anyway, thanks for reading. 

SHIMMYFIRE OUT!