Chapter 17: He is Watching

EJ's POV

"Slenderman." BEN hissed, staring coldly at the tall man. Of course, he couldn't speak, at least not in a language mortals could understand. He had come for us, not his little Proxy group, but he himself, right down to his suit and tie. 

~~~

The tall creature seemed to stare at us, unmoving and unimpressed. It was quite hard to tell because he had no eyes, but his posture and the direction of his head indicated that he was, in fact, looking at us. Just watching us, for now at least. 

"What do we do?" Joseph whispered to us. I shook my head sadly. 

"We can't do anything. He'll be watching us from now on." I muttered, watching as he stood. He was hunched over, his long, lanky hands trailing the ground. Joseph and Blake didn't seem to understand the depth of our situation. Once Slenderman had caught sight of his target, he never let it go. He was just waiting for the perfect moment to kill us all. He would likely kill Joseph and Blake, leaving BEN and I alive. After all, we were valuable to him, despite the many times we have betrayed him. 

"C-c'mon. Let's j-just go." Blake stuttered, turning around to walk away, his back turned towards the creature. 

"Wait! Don't! He'll-" BEN yelled, but it was too late. In the blink of an eye, Blake had become a shish kebab, skewered on one of Slenderman's clawed fingertips. I watched carefully as Blake's life drained away. He twitched, his eyes glassy. He let out a short, breathy groan. 

"Help.... me...."  

Blake fell still, his eyes glazed over. Glittering, bloody tears rolled down his lifeless face. 

The silent night was filled with the sickly sound of liquid hitting the floor, Blake's blood dripping from Slenderman's claws. The creature tilted his head towards the body, admiring his handiwork. If he could smile, I'm sure he was. 

~~~

Slenderman tipped his hand downward, letting the body drop to the floor. His once 'attractive' body was now bloody and distorted, his face fixed in utter agony. Joseph sobbed loudly, choking back the tears as best he could. I did honestly feel bad for Blake. He was a kind soul and didn't deserve this fate, but I suppose life had to run its course, and sooner or later, we all had to die, even myself. What a distasteful thought. 

BEN stared at the body, his mouth curled into a frown, his own eyes glittering in the moonlight. 

"Rest in peace, cool dude," BEN snapped his fingers, letting Blake's body disintegrate, collected by the wind and spread across the forest floor. It was a lot like spreading ashes if the ashes were created by a 16-year-old boy. 

No one said anything else. There was nothing else we could say. Joseph was shaking violently, comforted as best as humanly possible by BEN and I was left alone to my thoughts. I turned to face Slenderman again, but he was nowhere to be seen. Perhaps he had more business to deal with- business involving my other friends and Aspen... The entire forest fell dead silent again. 

Aspen and Shayd had found another page.

I ran, and without a single word, the other two followed. 

~~~

Aspen's POV

Being dragged along the ground was not a pleasant experience, especially when I couldn't see anything thanks to the tentacles. It felt like being run along with wet sandpaper if only you could imagine that. 

As I was dragged away, I noticed flashes of light, which at first I thought was lightning, but I soon realised it was flashlights. Hundreds of flashlights, all searching this very forest. Could it be possible that the police had noticed that we had been missing? After all of this time, they finally brought about a search party? Heck, I didn't know if they had been searching for months or not, I couldn't tell. I hadn't even considered what my mother would have said.