Chapter 7: Off to Campus!

Aspen's POV

My eyes fluttered open, the harsh daylight filled the air. Light filtered through the thick tree-tops above which definitely didn't help with the quite throbbing in my side. I tried to move, but my muscles refused to give me the pleasure. Everything hurt, but the bleeding had stopped, bandages tied tightly around my wounds from earlier. I groaned, staring at the trees again as they swayed in the breeze. Soon enough, a dark figure blocked my perfectly good view. I waited a moment before the figure finally came into focus. Shayd's widened eyes stared back at me, a smile quickly growing on her face. 

"Morning sleepy head." She chirped, helping me to sit. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and looked around. Shayd looked terrible. Her hair was like a birds nest and her clothes- all torn and bloodied, but she was alright. I noticed something about her, she seemed to radiate uncomfortableness. She smiled and stood, lolling towards a tree behind me. I knew it would be no good if I stood, so I stayed in my comfortable seat. I tried to crane my neck around to see, without any success. 

~~~

Soon enough, Shayd returned. A tall, lean figure standing behind her. It was hard to make out in the darkness, but I could tell who it was immediately. I would say the blue mask and ragged clothes gave it away. 

Anger flared in my body, pulling the pain aside. I stood, biting the side of my cheek to keep the pain at bay. Tears welled in my eyes, but I continued forward. That monster, he was toying with Shayd's gullible attitude. She was too kind for her own good. I rushed forwards, prepared to go all out against him. If it weren't for him, I might have been able to save Emily- I might have been able to save Shayd from her harm. 

"Wait!" Shayd yelled placing her hand on my chest. Shayd looked painfully determined, almost as if she didn't want me to kill him. I growled under my breath but held back. Perhaps she had her own reasons to keep him alive, or maybe she was just being an idiot. He was a blood-curling murderer who deserved to be buried alive. 

"Why would you help him?" I snapped. Shayd flinched, fear flickering across her face. As soon as it appeared, it was gone, replaced by sheer confidence. I felt terrible, turning my aggression towards her, but she was acting stupid. She was letting a monster play with her emotions. 

"I don't know why... I just-"  Shayd looked confused, staring at me for reassurance. She really didn't know why she was helping Jack, and nor did I. Maybe it was the trauma from losing Emily, maybe her kind soul couldn't bear killing after that little incident. 

Jack lifted his head, peering cautiously at my wounds, almost as if he was concerned. I could tell he was hurt badly, but he wouldn't show it. I scanned is own collection of bandages, realising that he had a bandage on his stomach, almost in the same spot where mine is. His left eye and leg were also bandaged. 

"What happened to him?" I whispered across to Shayd. Jack looked at me. He had obviously heard, but I wasn't about to give him another reason to hate us. 

"A wolf." He interrupted flatly. I knew he was lying, but I was not going to push him for answers. Personally, I didn't care if he dropped dead, right then and there. 

"Jack said he knows the way out of this forest and to the campus," Shayd said quietly. Jack nodded slowly. I couldn't help but feel slightly angered. Who knows how long Jack and Shayd were alone together for, while I was asleep on the floor. What lies could that monster have fed her? But I knew I had to push that aside for the moment. Our only chance of survival was to entrust ourselves to a psychopath, not the most comforting thought. I studied Shayd, watching for any sort of concern in her eyes, but they appeared different- they glowed a brilliant yellow. She radiated something, something I didn't recognise. Maybe she had seen something, maybe she was treading close to the edge of sanity.