Author's Note/Trigger Warning

This story deals heavily with themes of suicide. I do not recommend you read the story if you are triggered by these themes.

Life is so precious. Every person is. You may be surprised by what people will do in the worst circumstances. You may be surprised by what you can accomplish.

I don't know. I'm not good at motivational speeches! And I know that such speeches, no matter how well-intentioned, aren't always helpful.

But if you or someone you know needs help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. Some people may not call because they don't want to burden anyone else. Please don't feel that way. The volunteers and employees are there because they truly want to help. We all need other people, we all want to be cared for, and we all want to care for others. When you ask for help, you're helping other people fulfill their need to help others.

They will try to help you in any way they can, including providing you with resources in your local community that can help you get out of whatever seemingly-inescapable situation you are in. If you have reservations against calling the police, telling parents, et cetera, they will take that seriously. They won't call 9-11 unless it's absolutely, immediately necessary.They don't want to make your circumstances worse; they want to help.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline (multilingual):1-800-273-8255

Spanish-language Hotline: 1-888-628-9454

Text telephone for deaf people: 1-800-799-4889

Crisis Text Line US (for those who would rather text than talk on the phone): Text HOME to 741741

Crisis Text Line Canada: 686868

Crisis Text Like UK: 85258

Trevor Lifeline (for young LGBTQ people): 1-866-488-7386