Fluorescent Adolescent

I sat at the table next morning mindlessly looking over a stolen newspaper. I had gotten some interesting sleep last night. It was much better than the previous night and fully surpassed being beaten unconscious for sleep. As I sat at the table, I was thinking about Matt of course, how he was married, and took her name. It didn't make sense to me and for some reason it was bothering my soul now. When he woke up later, I had decided to interrogate him on the subject. It may have bothered him yesterday but people killing me bothered me and I'd prefer there be no strange secrets among us. Especially one involving marriage which is more or less what got us here in the first place.

  "Why did you take her last name? Is that even legal?" I asked fidgeting in my seat.

  He sat next to me at the table, mindlessly staring out the large window in the connecting living room. He seemed to be in thought about something but regardless I got no answer.

  "You said something bad happened between you two?" I railed him again, sitting up a little straighter.

  "Ok stop," He said sighing deeply, fixing his disheveled hair so it fell nicely on top of his head once more. "I lied."

  "About what?" I asked suspiciously, this was the secrecy I was talking about . "The marriage or the name thing-" I rambled mindlessly.

  "About who I married. It wasn't 'Lexei's sister and we didn't get divorced through death," He shrugged rolling his eyes casually. He whispered the next part under his breath as if he was listening. "Sorry, 'Lexei."

  "Who was it? Why lie?"

  "You can't tell anyone. If they knew they'd kill us both."

  "Who is it?" I asked as he leaned forward next to me.

  "I was married to Alexei."

  The news really hit me hard for some reason. "What happened?"

  "I don't know. I mean before Alexei had taken over your Uncles Fathers gang we had been married for a year prior. I didn't like what being in control of a gang had done to Alexei, we got a divorce. The South Side and a surplus of other gangs would murder us in our sleep if they knew, especially the Russian's." Matt explained playing with a quarter in front of him.

  "Why didn't you tell me the truth?"

  "Your already at risk, knowing this about us... doesn't help," He looked at me up through his eyelashes. I wish he didn't fucking do that, it made me shiver.

  "Why'd Alexei leave you with me?"

  "You already asked that question. Training."

  I gave him a look, what a liar. Just training, sure.

  "When do we start?"

  "After you finish reading," Matt said not moving an inch. "I actually want something in return though."

  "I really have nothing of value."

  "I'm really bad at gambling," He whispered.

  "Like I know how to gamble," I let out a small laugh at the ridiculousness of the request.

  "You work in a casino," Matt smirked at me and I begged him to stop.

  "Fine. Mmm," I bit my lip thinking. "I won't charge you when I bring up wine."

  "Only if you drink that wine with me. I feel like you don't relax enough."

  "Well, I mean a bunch of people are now out to kill me, but I think I was like that before then. Deal," I shrugged, I should value my life more than a glass of wine with an almost stranger.