Run For Cover

Kris^

 Huffing I saw him still there in the mirror 20 minutes later. I shook my head cleaning out a few glasses, my back still to him. When I looked up again he had vanished. I turned around and a bar fight broke out between a black coat and a grey coat.

  "Hey, break it up," I yelled slamming down a glass.

  "Wouldn't do that if I were you."

  I turned and saw another gray coat right next to me again. This time he wasn't carrying a gun but definitely wanted a fight. I slowly backed up to where the counter behind me was at a lower level. My hand went around the neck of a heavy bottle and right as a black coat was coming closer, I nailed the gray coat over the head. I huffed dropping the shattered bottle as the glass cascaded around him and my hand.

  "Anyone else wanna try and kill me?" I called throughout the bar; I noticed only black coats remained standing and immediately felt a little inadequate. They had clearly taken out more gray coats than me. I shook my hand out noticing it was wet and thankfully not with blood as I wiped it on a washcloth.

  "Round on me boys!" That smart ass had returned to his seat and this time brought his buddies with him to sit down. His grin still plastered on his face, it looked like he hadn't even lifted his dainty little finger and now he was back at my bar demanding to be served.

  I squinted at him in disbelief. "Are you kidding me?"

  The group around him oohed and awed at my sass.

  "I would like you and your men out of my bar. Innocent people come in here and drink, I don't need them sipping cocktails in front of dead bodies! I have almost died one too many times today."

  "Yea you know. I'm tired of you almost dying as well. That is why I am sitting in your damn bar right now, I want a nice conversation and you keep shooing me off like a dog."

  I felt like a helpless child again and no one dared make me feel that way.

  "Serve yourselves."

  I tossed my towel down, loosened my bow tie and made my way back towards the kitchen to check out.

  "Mike! I'm checking out early! I want a raise!" I hollered strolling through the kitchen.

  The second I broke through the doorway into the checkout area I spotted Marcy laying on the floor. She wasn't moving and he was contorted at a horrible angle. I backed up back out of the kitchen stumbling to reach the old phone hanging on the wall to the kitchen.

  "Marcy?" I asked. Before I could get an answer, a bag was thrown over my head and tied. My capture pulled me along quickly. I struggled to get my bearings, my feet kept slipping and sliding underneath me and I didn't dare say another word. We walked in utter silence for a while.

  I had a sense of deja-vu from last night, when I was unmasked the room was dimly lit for my eyes. I was kneeling on what felt like the floor, but higher up if that was possible, my center of gravity was thrown off. I looked around and felt my arms had been zip tied. I noticed I was on a game table of some sort. I groaned. Someone had heard me and put a cold finger to my chin and tipped it up. The figure dark and mysterious, I couldn't make them out in the dark.

  "You are so pretty. I'm jealous."

  "Can you people stop touching me and trying to kill me. Seriously. Why me?!"

  "Remind me what your name is?" The man before me crossed his arms.

  "Why?" I asked trying to lean away. When he got closer, I tried biting him unsuccessfully as if I was a wild dog.