Alternate Ending

(Ten years later)

A five years old little girl in pink ballerina getup is dancing and twirling happily in the middle of a huge living room. Her bright blue eyes are filled with excitement as she jumps about. She stops and runs to the foot of a flight of stairs,

"Mummy hurry up! I'm going to miss my show if we are late," her little voice yells,

"I'm coming, I'm coming! Gosh! You're so feisty today. And it's the school's show not yours," a woman with similar blue eyes walks majestically down the stairs. Her blonde curls are bouncing just above her shoulders. Her slender fingers are grazing the walls as she steadies herself on each step she takes, while her other hand lays steadily on her already huge bump.

She's heavily pregnant.

"Where are your stuff?"

"Already in the car! Now move a little bit faster!"

"Is your father already here?"

"No mummy! He's meeting us there. Now let's go!!!" She drags her mother's hand as she reaches the last stair,

"OK, OK!"

They both get into a Range Rover Vogue, the woman remembering something, jumps back out of the vehicle and to the child's seat,

"Oh my God! I forgot to strap you in."

"Don't worry mummy! I got it?"

"Yeah but I must check first." She steps out of the car to the back and checks that the straps of the car seat are secured.

"It's all good. Strapped in tight! So can we go now?"

"Alright alright! We are going." She jumps back into the front seat and they drive off singing to I won't dance by Fred Sinatra.

......

"Where are they," another blonde woman, keeps going up and down by the door of a theater room, glancing nervously at her watch,

"Mrs. Shenko, I don't think we can wait any longer,"

"If you come to me one more time with that excuse, I'll immediately dry out your funds shut this place down. She'll be here soon so just wait!" She shouted at the already nervous teacher. Just then, the familiar Rover pulled over in front of them,

"There you guys are, finally! What took you guys so long?"

"Mummy was being lazy, like always," the little girl said,

"Hello Sophia," the pregnant blonde waved at the other blonde woman, "sorry we're late,"

"It's OK Maraïda. At least you're here now! Wait! Where's Jared and Ellie? Where's Joseph?" The air fell dead silent. "You people have no respect for time,"

"They'll be here. Jared's with Ellie on their way here, Joseph still has that big opening of the company's new branch in Miami and would not be able to make..."

"What? He's not coming? Dad's not coming? You told me he'd be here!" The little girl screamed, her eyes almost popping out,

"Marisa, Marisa! Honey, daddy's just a little caught up," Maraïda tried comforting her daughter,

"But who's going to give me flowers," she pouted her glossy little lips,

"Look Riss, it's your uncle Jared," Sophia told her, directing her head to the jeep the rode towards them. It came to a stop and Jared stepped out with a big bouquet of red roses,

"Uncle Jared!" Marisa ran towards him, engulfing him in a big hug. On the other side of the car came out a girl. She had dark brown hair and bright blue eyes. She wore a blue ribbon that read first place. Marisa jumped on her too, "I thought you wouldn't make it,"

"You kidding, I'll never miss my little sister's first big show," Elina told her, then she turned to Sophia, "Mom," then to Maraïda, "mummy,"

"I told you you'd make it," Sophia told her with a smile,

"I'm so proud of you minion," Maraïda said,

"We're here now, let's go!" Marisa screamed again, they all burst into laughter.

"Do you need help dad?" Elina asked Jared as the disappeared behind the doors of the school.

....................

(A few hours later)

Everyone is seated inside the emergency room; Marisa still in her ballerina getup, Elina caressing her ribbon from her first place in the science fair, Jared and Sophia seated next to each other.

Joseph runs in, loosening his tie, panting heavily,

"What happened? Where's she?" He asked. Sophia tries to talk to him but is interrupted by a doctor,

"I see the daddy's here," Dr. Seuss taps on Joseph's back,

"Andrew, how's my wife? How Maraïda?"

"She's fine Joseph. It is her third time after all. By the way, congratulations, it's a baby boy." The little girls jolt in excitement. "You'll see them soon, they're getting cleaned up."

"Thank you Andrew." Joseph took Andrew's hand in excitement. Then he turned Sophia and Jared, "we've got our boy," he sang, and they all gather in a huge family hug.

A few minutes later, they are all invited into the room where Maraïda is carrying her baby. She sees Joseph and her eyes light up, pools of tears, tears of joy filling them up. It's a beautiful scene to watch. They were watching and crying as the little man beats his tiny hands around.

"Looks like I'm still the only brunette in the family," Elina jokes and they laugh and sniff.

"Is anyone going to name him?" Marisa asks,

"How about, Jared Shenko II?" Joseph said,

"I like the sound of that." Sophia giggled.

"Can I name him?" Elina asked,

"Why do you get to name him. I'm younger, I should name him?" Marisa argued.

"Girls!!!" Sophia warned, "we can all name him if and only if we act civil about it."

"How about Jacob, like that kid in my class who never combs his hair." Marisa said again, paying no attention to Sophia, "Emile, like the other kid in my class who always eats with the launch lady,"

"How about JJ? As in Joey Jared? Both dad's equally represented," Elina said, caressing the baby's hair.

"That's is just brilliant. How did my daughter get so smart," Jared kissed Elina's hair, "bet she got from me."

"You're so cheesy dad!"

They continued talking and laughing until they all agreed to settle for Elina's suggestion. Everything had fallen into place. Maraïda had given birth to Jena Elina Shenko and they'd both survived. Sophia had raised the child while Jared was unconscious for almost three years and Maraïda was under intensive mental care. Joseph came back to her and helped her get rid of all the scars from her past and together, they'd built a beautiful family with their own daughter Sophia Marisa Aguilar and now, their son JJ Aguilar. Above all, they'd learned to live together as one big and happy family in every aspect.

They were perfect!