Renegotiation.

Maraïda's POV

Jared didn't lie. He never left me alone. Well except when he went to work, which he had been doing a lot lately. It had been two weeks after we left the hospital. He had moved into my room; not move in literally. He just spent a lot more time in there with me: watching me while I sleep, keeping me company when I am awake. One time we talked about naming the baby.

Our baby!

"If it's a girl, I want us to call her Jena, Jena Shenko."

"Jena?" I cut him off, "That's awfully unusual. Not a lot of people name their children that, It's kind off a rare unique name."

"I know. That's why I want to name her that. My mother was called Jena. I would lobe to give her that, name my first girl child after her. But, if it is a boy, I'm thinking Jared."

"What? You can't give your son the same surname as you,"

"And who said I can't. Jared Shenko Junior or Jared Shenko II." He said, smiling. Something I hadn't seen him do for a while. It was heart warming.

"Well those are good names Jared. But I think Markian for a baby boy is as equally unique as Jenna! Or even... Sorry! I think I'm getting ahead of myself here. I forgot my opinion doesn't matter." I told him, head lowered.

"Why would you say that Maraïda?"

"Because that was the deal remember? I'm just your surrogate. I put to, hand over the child and disappear." As I spoke, I made sure I put on a little pouty face into the phrasing of that sentence. I had found Jared Shenko's weak point and intended on exploiting it to the best I could. If I wanted him, I had to fight for him. I could still see in his eyes how much he still loved and missed Sophia. I wanted to help him forget; I wanted to help me by making him forget about her. That's one of the reason I had become super excited about the arrival of this baby. This baby was going to be the final draw to have Jared all to myself.

"But you're opinion does matter Maraïda. You're not just my surrogate anymore. I know that is what had been in the beginning of all this, but things have changed now. You're going to be the mother of my child; you're going to be a part of our lives. You are going to give me the missing piece to my broken puzzle. You are never going to be just my surrogate. You're my family now."

"You sound like a big shot poet now Jared, you know that?" I pushed a charming smile his way and sent a forced one back. I knew he was still in a dark place so I understood his mood.

"Jared! I wanted to tell you something. I have been thinking; and I thought about a renegotiation!"

"A what?"

"A renegotiation, of the terms under which this baby is to be born." I told, curling and twirling up my fingers, looking at down at them as if I was talking to them. I feared the kind of look Jared would bare when I told him about my new decisions.

"I still don't get it Maraïda. I'm not following," he wipe his palms across his face, something he'd been doing a lot lately; a sign he was getting tired of me. But he was stuck with me. He was going to be stuck with me when I tell him about the renegotiation.

"I have been thinking a lot about it lately. I have gotten too attached to my baby to just give it away to you." He literally jumped up to look at me, a look of surprise on his face,

"What's this about now? You don't want to give me my child anymore" He asked, his jaws clenching and releasing in a steady movement.

"That's not it. You are the father, I can't just take the child away from you! But I also am the mother and I don't want to loose my child. It might be the only person I have left. I want to be a part of its life. I want to be its mother in every way possible."

"So what are you saying now Maraïda?" He repeated palming his face again,

"I want to remain here with my baby. I am not leaving her with you and just going off. Sophia is not here and I can not just leave the baby with you, trusting you'll after to all its needs. This might sound harsh but you have no experience whatsoever in taking care of a baby. I do."

"Listen Maraïda, if you want to stay her, that's on you. It is a good thing too. But also know this: Sophia will come back," he jaws clenched tighter. I didn't think it could be possible but it was. "Sophia is still my wife and she will come back to me and will be my child's mother too!"
He was yelling now. A rogue tear ran down my left cheek to my lips.

"I know! I am not saying otherwise. I just want to be my child's mother too." I sobbed as I cried, "I'll loose my mind if I give her away. I'm begging you to let me be the mother of my child. That's all I ask. I don't want anything else. And promise to never trouble you or your wife."

Jared stood there looking at me for almost ten minutes. With every passing minute, I cried more. Then he just walked out without saying anything else. But I knew I had won an upper hand. I knew Jared cared for my sanity as much as he cared for his baby. And if I wanted to stay in both their lives, I had one thing to make sure never happened; Sophia never had to come back.