Still his legal wife

Sophia's POV

This particular phase of my life was like a repeated phase. Some kind of déjà vu. The first time I remember like it was yesterday though it's been years; it was when I left Jared, to go away, far away with the pregnancy he wasn't ready for. I was broken, wrecked and utterly disgraced. I felt so embarrassed thinking in was growing feelings for him when he wasn't even an ounce bit interested in me or having a family. I still don't remember how I survived without him, because I became so stressed; extremely stressed that I had to rely on crack. I hated it so much but I went into drinking and drugs: careless of what effect it might have had on me or my baby. Consequently, I had a miscarriage. That was how it went down. I lost my baby! The only one I was ever going to get. Because the cleansing process caused me fertility. My reproductive organs had suffered the highest as the drugs, alcohol and all that burned my womb so bad that the doctors said I was lucky to be alive, though I had lost my pride as a woman.

But Jared still accepted me as I was. I wanted to hate him very badly when we met again but i couldn't even dislike him. We had had too much good memories for one immature mistake to make me not look pass it all. He fought for my love again and I trusted him; I also felt a little under since I knew my past and my predicament. But he never minded any of it; he took me back again with everything; and we were happy; very happy; until we weren't anymore. It all started one night.

What night?

The night I suggested we adopt a little girl I had come across. The child had seemed to be suffering from something serious. I was doing my monthly checkups when I saw her. When I had asked, a nurse told me she was orphaned and was to be put into foster care if her guardian whom she thought was underage couldn't afford for her hospital bills.

I thought of it as the perfect coincidence. I told myself if Jared would accept, then we could adopt her. But I was wrong. The idea infuriated him: he didn't even give me the chance to explain it to him. He told me he'd rather have his own flesh and blood than adopt another's. He left home angry, came back the next morning and we actually made up. Only for Maraïda to happen two months later.

I tolerated her for Jared's sake. I knee how much a child meant to him. Ironic! Thinking that when I was pregnant he didn't want one, and then when I could no longer give him one, he craves for it. I put up with my husband bringing his psychopath mistress or surrogate or whatever she was to him for almost three months! But I realised as well, I was only killing myself. Tolerating everything for Jared in the name of love was very stupid and I gave up. It was never about love; it was about guilt! She was going to give something I knew I could never give him.

"I have lost," I thought out loud, in the mall's café. My best friend Anita had taken me out for a change of the scenery of my hotel room. It was a bad idea. The cafe was directly opposite a mother care's shopping center. All the adorable baby stuff made me sick, choked and drained, "I have lost everything Annie,"

"For heaven's sake Sophia!" Annie grumbled. She had been getting tired of my constant sulking, who wouldn't? "You're still young and beautiful, there's so much more out there for you. You haven't lost anything. Jared Shenko is just another man with billions in his accounts that makes him feel like he owns the world. Without that, he's nothing. Stop putting your life around him just because of some stupid mistake." She told me. She was right. That was exactly what I wanted to do; but I guessed I must have really had my entire life around Jared that being without him, was like taboo to me, so I kept on being miserable.

"Just chill for now OK? Drink your soda," Annie told me. I knew for one, she was trying to stop me from talking about my feelings. As I lifted the mug to my face, I saw a lovely furry dress walk out of the baby shop. I remember that dress, I had bought it for her, for Maraïda. She looked like a happy sunflower. I felt my inside churn. As if me seeing her do baby's shopping wasn't enough to salt my wounds, she saw me, then approached me,

"Annie let's go,"

"What! But why? We just got here!"

"Yes Sophia! Why? Why are you leaving? You haven't even finished your coffee. I'd like to have some coffee, but the doctor said it wouldn't be good for our daughter; Jared's and my daughter. So we are taking all the precautions necessary."

My fingers went into a tight fist. I knew exactly what she was trying to do, but I wasn't going to let her,

"Oh really! Well this coffee," I picked up the cup, "is black and bitter. It might not be good for your baby, but it could be good for your soul. So you can have my remains; just like you're trying to have my husband. But let me remind you this Maraïda; I am still...his legal wife. You? Are just a pitiful, crazy surrogate. You have his baby now, but what else do you have Maraïda? So if I were you, I'd enjoy this moments, " I grabbed my purse for a dramatic exit, "and see a psychiatrist too." Then I, walked away.

I didn't even want to turn and enjoy the look on her face. I just wanted to go far away, to hide and cry.

Five.