One Last Chance

Jared's POV

It all became as clear as day to me when I watched Cassidy's video. I felt like a storm rain had just washed down on me. All this time, Maraïda played me; she made a fool of me, while I sympathized with her sneakiness. I watch with horror as she cut her own self and smudge the blood all over her thighs; as she pretended to scream; as she fake fainted!

I was a such a terrible state that day and to think she was just mocking me.

"Why Maraïda? Why did you do all of this to me? Why did you ruin my life? Why? What did I ever do to you?" She started crying. Her fake tears just made me angrier. I was standing on a bridge between life and death, trying to control my temper, in order not to seriously hurt her.

"You've been playing me for a fool all this time! I lost everything! I lost my wife because of you!" I yelled harshly at her. She shrieked to a corner of the kitchen, not being able to look at me in the eyes. The maids were being a wonderful audience, not one of them moved an inch, they just watched in silence.

"No no no! Jared! You haven't lost everything, you still have me; and our child!'

"Our child? Is it really our child Maraïda? Or just another one of your lies? Am I really responsible for your pregnancy? Am I Maraïda?"

"What are you saying? Jared! Listen I'm sorry about that one time. I was just desperate for your attention; but for you to question the paternity of this child is way out of line. You are the father of my child Jared!! It's you and no one else!"

"Is it? Is it really? Tell me then, who is Joseph to you? Do you not remember him? Joseph Aguilar! Who is he?" I grabbed briskly; sick and tired of her lies. I looked at her deep inside the blues. I could feel her shaking under my hold,

"What?" She said in barely above a whisper,

"Do not pretend now like you have no idea who he is. We met him just today!"

"I am not pretending. I know who Joseph is but what has he got to do with all this?"

"Tell me something Maraïda, since you're so innocent and ignorant; did it ever cross your mind that I might not be the father of your child?"

"Why would you say that?" She started seeming so confident and fearless in the way she spoke. Her sobbing was gone miraculously,

"Did you or did you not have sex with him just a couple of days before the night we unofficially met?" She fell silent. I scoffed. I had really been a big fool, "you've dealt with me big time Maraïda! You've ruined me big time. I've have fallen from the heights of glory all because of you! But no more! I have had enough!!" I told her then turn to leave,

"No Jared, please wait! I'm sorry! I never meant to hurt or lie about anything. But I can assure that this baby girl I'm carrying is yours! Yes it's true, I slept with Joseph just a couple of days before that night but we used protection and I,"

"Enough!" I lashed out at her making her jolt big time, "I have had enough of your lies, and deceit. I am leaving, I am going to find my wife, and when we get back, you better be out of this house!" I turned to leave again, but turned back to her, "I better not meet you here when we get back or else I swear Miss Mendoza, I will forget about your condition and seriously hurt you." I walked out not giving a second look to whatever scene that stayed behind.

I jumped into my car and drove off. All I could think about was getting to Sophia. I had no idea where she was, not even a hint. But I kept driving. I thought of calling her and picked up the phone but it went straight to voicemail,

"Sophia here, can't talk right now, please leave a message after the bip!"

"Sophia! My love! Cara! I am sorry. I don't know what came over me, I don't even think I was in my right senses! Just give me one last chance. Please call me back baby, I need to see you! I need to talk to you please." Then I hung up.

I continued driving, still not knowing where I was going. I thought of how I'd tell Sophia about Maraïda's treachery. An idea came, I thought of telling her right away so I called her again,

"Sophia listen; Maraïda, Maraïda lied to me, she lied to keep me away from you, she's been making a fool of me and you and I don't want us to be apart because of her issues. Sophia, Sophia I love you, please," I felt a heavy lump in my throat, like a sob. I knew I was about to cry, so I dropped my head down on the steering wheel, "I love you, please come back to me,"

I cried on my steering wheel, my car was still driving. I knew I was the only one on the road so I continued driving. Not watching the road, the phone still on my ear. I was hoping she would just pick up, I was hooping she could still hear me and she would pick up the phone. I still wasn't off the road. I heard a loud hunk. I hadn't completely forgotten I was still driving but I didn't care! It didn't matter at all.

The last think I remember seeing where a pair of bright headlights coming straight for my car; my life flashed before my eyes; all I could see in it was her; my cara mia! Everything afterwards went black.

Nothing made sense after. It was a dark but peaceful place.