Maraïda is beautiful??!

Jared's POV

I can not just say it wasn't a good thing that Sophia and Maraïda had closed up their relationship. It was, but she had drifted away from me. It wasn't like we had ever been close though. I knew she had been avoiding me. I tried giving her that space but it was a little difficult. I always found myself thinking about her. I couldn't help but worry about her mental condition. I hot scared when I caught her lost in thoughts or spacing out. I wanted to know what she was thinking and how she was feeling. I wanted to be the one she'd talk to if ever she felt anything. I wanted to know about everything she experiences during her pregnancy; but she would rather tell Sophia or the maids, than me. I got used to it. I was already giving up, getting used to her always turning away from me. If she would rather eat in her room instead of on the table with me on it, it was pass the point of appeasing her. At least she was talking to others now and that was way better than all the earlier days when she'd stay locked up inside her room.

I got back home one evening, exhausted from the day's work. Sophia was telling me of her day at the Spar with Maraïda. She was looking beautiful as always; Spar or not, my wife was always the same in my eyes. The most beautiful woman on earth.

"I don't know why you bother yourself with going to Spars. You will always be perfect in my eyes." I told her. She smiled and I felt a little joy knowing that smile was from my wife forever. At least she was happy no matter what.

"Oh! And you should see Maraïda!She s completely transformed. Take a look!" She said but I continued stealing little kisses on her cheek, "I mean like right now!" I followed the motion of her fingers to the staircase.

My. breath. hitched!

Her blonde hair had been trimmed to the length of her shoulders; thick waves of hair, shiny under the rays of the chandelier lights. Her lips glowed under the touch of the light beams; a bright beige pink shade. Her pale white skin had added some colour, her cheeks flushed a delightful pink shade. A top all this, she wore a pink furry off shoulder dress with a white air max.

I was at loss of words. For a minute I contemplated if it was the right person. Her baby bump giving her a complete gorgeous woman look. For another minute I forgot she was still not pass her eighteen years because she looked like a young, beautiful woman. She also looked absentminded; not that that was new; descending the stair in a glorious way, like royalty. I was so taken aback that I forgot there was another woman I was appreciating a few minutes ago: my wife.

"You know, a picture will last longer." Sophia said. I panicked a little. Not because I had been staring, mesmerized at her new look, but because I couldn't stop. The image was addictive.

"Uhm!" I cleared my throat a little, "What??" The words trembling on my lips as I said them,

"It's OK honey, I'm joking. I understand you perfectly." She said then joined me in staring, "I'd be lying if I said I myself wasn't shocked at first. It's like a whole new person outside. But it's still the same Maraïda beyond all that." She tapped my shoulder as she finished and turned back to dressing the table.

I couldn't understand how beyond all that beauty, she could still be distressed. One minute I was watching her walk closer to the last stair, contemplating if she was now the same on the inside as on the outside, and the next minute I was at the end of the stairs, smiling like an idiot, offering my hand to help her down. She looked at me indifferently, taking out one of white ear buds from her ears,

"Funny! I help myself down a thousand stairs and you offer help at the last?" Jesus! Even her voice had changed.

I think!

Maybe I was just too mesmerized.

"Why can't I eat upstairs Sophia?" She grumbled, slouching in a very unladylike manner on the chair, somehow I thought it was cutest thing ever.

"Because it is very unladylike to be eating while lying in bed when you're not sick, and no slouching on the table please. You're pregnant: not old."

"I'll do whatever I want. Plus I'm heavy! Shouldn't that be considered a sickness." She pick up a piece of buttered bread and stuffed it into her mouth.

"Maraïda, pregnancy is not a disease. And eating with us will do you some good." Sophia said.

"What good?"

"The bonding kind. We could tell Jared about our day at the Spar."

"I'd rather be watching the Breakfast Club or at least playing with an Ouija board."

"You watch the Breakfast Club?" I finally asked her, finding a way to engage in their conversation.

"And what is an Ouija board?" Sophia asked.

"The Breakfast Club part was sarcastic and what's an Ouija board? seriously Sophia?"

"What is it?"

"Have never watched a movie where the use a board game to communicate with spirits?"

"Really? Spirits? Like dead people?" Sophia asked before lifting a fork of spaghetti to her lips.

"Yeah. Exactly."

"And it's real? Like the board: can you really use to communicate with spirits?"

"Totally."

"I do not personally understand why anyone in their right mind would want to communicate with dead people," I added. It was just a simple something to put myself into the conversation too.

"Good thing I'm not in my right mind then." Maraïda said. She didn't look to serious or offended.

"Have you ever used it Maraïda?" Sophia questioned.

"To tell my crappy father how shitty he is for ruining my life? All the fucking time."

I felt a little sad; sorry for her. She must have been through a hell lot.

The conversation about the board and the different movies it had been featured in dragged on till we started eating dessert and still continued talking. At some part, she laughed and I was mesmerized all over again. Before I knew it, the words flowed out of my mouth like I had no control over it,

"You look really beautiful Maraïda." The colour on her cheeks intensify. She actually blushed.

"Thank you Jared."