Chapter 10: Unexpected Return

Toni POV

I walked out the salon with a feeling I haven't felt in ages. Part of that feeling was brought back when I was with Cheryl but this was different, overpowering really. Excitement filled me, and I couldn't wait to show Derek the changes I've made to myself. He hasn't seen me this way since we first met. Hopefully some of this hostility I've been feeling with him will be gone. I pulled out my phone and snapped a picture for my own amusement. Damn Topaz, you look good I thought.

Arriving at the apartment I made my way up the elevator to our floor. As I unlocked the door and opened it Derek was in the room still changing.

"Derek?" I called out.

"I'm coming! Just putting on a nice shirt" he yelled as he opened the bedroom door to walk out.

I stood in the kitchen waiting for his reaction.

"So should we walk or take a ca-, woah!" He said being completely thrown off with wide eyes.

"Soooo? What do you think?" I said with a smile I couldn't contain.

"Why did you do this? I thought you were passed that rebel stage in your life" he said sounding a bit disappointed with my appearance. How dare he.

"Rebel stage? This is WHO I AM" I strongly stated. "I may have given up the serpents and that lifestyle but I'll always be a serpent by blood. You'll never take that away from me." I said shaking my head. I did not expect for him to be such an asshole about this. This is entirely my choice. I'm done giving things up for other people.

"What about your job? You know professional work places don't like" he pointed his finger quickly before putting it down ".... pink hair...".

"Then screw them! Yes I love my job, but I love myself more. And maybe you should too" I said trying really hard to not lose my shit.

"Okay. Okay. Fine. You're right. You can do whatever you want. But I can't say I love it." He said shrugging his shoulders.

"Yeah well I didn't do this for you", I said walking out of the door slamming it behind me.

He ran to the door and shouted into the hall "WHERE ARE YOU GOING! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO GET DINNER!".

"I'VE LOST MY APPETITE!" I yelled as I continued walking and took the stairs instead for a quicker escape.

...

I found myself walking down the city streets with no destination in site. I stopped and took a moment to think. You know, Cheryl would have loved this. She would have appreciated me being happy in my own skin again. A lot of times I wish he was like her. But he could never be her, she was simply amazing and one of a kind.

I turned down a street and saw a small dive bar. It reminded me of the Whyte Wyrm. Memories flooded back of Jughead and I joking around with the serpents and stealing alcohol behind FP's back. I really missed them. I walked in and sat at the bar. The bartender walked over my way. She was an older woman with tattoos all over her arms.

"What can I get for you honey?" She spoke kindly with a smokers voice.

"Jack and coke" I told her.