Chapter 4: A Feeling...or Two

Toni POV:

"Well if you're going to stay longer you might as well help me finish this wine" Cheryl said as she swayed the bottle in front of my face. Maybe this is exactly what I needed. Part of me has always felt that there were unresolved feelings with Cheryl. Maybe I just need to make sure those feelings aren't there, and realize that they're still friendship feelings and nothing more.

"Fine, give me that bottle". I took it and began to drink right from it. "You want to party, let's party". I took another large swing from the bottle as she cheered me on. "Let's finish this movie".

"You sure it won't be weird? She said teasing me from earlier" giving me a small whack with the couch pillow.

"Whatever!!!" I rolled my eyes in a joking manor. "Clearly I misunderstood what you meant".

She laid down on the opposite end of the couch resting her head on the arm.

"Cher.. you better not fall asleep. I know you".

"I won't, I won't". She grabbed the pillow and made herself more comfortable. "Thanks for staying for a little longer, I really didn't want to be alone today".

"Well it's a good thing I came back to town isn't it? I could use a friend here too". For some reason the word friend felt sour on my tongue.

We casually watched the movie laughing at all the ridiculous things that were happening. Everything was funnier because now I was definitely drunk. "I've missed this.... the movie! I've missed the movie. It was one of my favorites". I felt my body getting hotter and couldn't help but think of how awful of a save that was. Truth is, I did miss spending time with her. Just laying on the couch, talking. I missed it.

She stared at me with a glimmer in her eyes. "I've missed this movie too TT. More than you'd ever know". She chuckled and put her head back down with a smirk on her face.

My heart began to race. TT... That was what she used to call me. That's who I was 6 years ago. Maybe there is a feeling or two left for her in my heart. Maybe she felt it too? Wait wait. It didn't matter. At the end of the day we both have moved on. We were both happy.. right?

A few minutes went by and I began to hear small snores coming from Cheryl. She has got to be kidding me! She said she wouldn't fall asleep. I did what came naturally. I grabbed the pillow I was using and whacked her with it! "GET UP!"

"Are you serious Toni!" She looked at me in disbelief before a smile took over her face. "I can't stand you!"

"We both know that's not true". I sent a wink her way and saw her blush a little. Wait. What was I doing? Am I flirting with her? Nah. We're just joking around.... like friends...right?

...

I realized I hadn't checked my phone the whole time I was here. Shit. I'm sure Derek tried to call me. I stumbled up to grab my bag I left near the door. I tapped the screen to see:

3 missed calls: Derek🥰
6 iMessages: Derek🥰

Shit. He must be worried. "I have to make a call" I told her as I stumbled to the kitchen. Without reading any of the messages I called him back.

"Toni? What the hell happened? Are you okay? It's 11:30! Where have you been!"

"Im fine, I just ran into an old friend and have been hanging out with her. You remember Cheryl, I told you about her".

"Thank god you're alright. I was so worried. And that's great you had a friend to hang out with. Are you in your hotel already?".

"Yes... I just got back. I had a little too much to drink so I had wait a bit to drive. I'm going to be getting ready for bed soon. I'll call you tomorrow".