𝕊𝕚𝕩

[Chapter 6 - The Day He Snapped]

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

The cycle repeated itself, and Genevieve was getting ready for another day of teaching (on time). But today would be different in its setup. All Hallows Eve was approaching that night.

Halloween is always an exciting time at Hogwarts. Pranks being pulled, and planning for the tremendous Halloween feast, full of eccentric foods and assortments of sweets.

With her suit tidied and dirty dishes left in the sink cleaned, she got dressed, contemplating her outfit choice. In the end, she wore blood-red trousers, a stripy chestnut long-sleeved top, red and black patterned heels and last but not least her cloak, channelling her bit of Halloween. Looking around the space, she headed down to breakfast, enjoying the extra few minutes she had.

Genevieve sat down at the head table, conversing with the other professors when suddenly she wondered why the master of snarky remarks hadn't blessed her with his appearance. She leaned down the table slightly and questioned Professor McGonagall on Snape's whereabouts.

Minerva shared a look with Albus before replying to Genevieve, ultimately ending the conversation there.

"he is unwell"

Genevieve let off a small "oh", returning to her meal only to have lost her appetite and struck with a pang of guilt in her chest.

~*~*~*~*~*~

'Paperwork. Why in Godric's name does a school with a dozen house-elves and giant squids have so much paperwork' Genevieve let out a sigh, thinking to herself, how she would have all these tests corrected by the following morning. It had just turned 9 o'clock, the ringing of the cuckoo clock in the kitchenette still chiming; and Genevieve had been working for hours. But still, the pile seemed to get bigger and bigger.

'Maybe I can ask one of the other professors to help me?' Genevieve contemplated the idea for a moment, deciding it was the only way she would get them finished on time.

Gathering up all her papers, she locked her door, hidden behind the red painting and headed to the staff room. But coming down the stairs, she realised, who in their right mind would still be in the staff room at quarter past 9. Flitwick? No. Hooch? Definitely not. She could ask McGonagall but after their last encounter, it's safe to say a no to that.

" I can't believe I'm doing this" Genevieve muttered, now taking a new route.

Down to the dungeons.

~*~*~*~*~*~

'It's come to this. Requesting help from the enemy' Genevieve braced herself, before knocking on the door, only to be met with silence.

She knocked again, still with the same outcome. Genevieve huffed and knocked once more when this time she got a reply.

"Go away!"

"Look I wouldn't be here unless I need your help. Trust me, I'm not too happy with the arrangement either,"

"Leave me alone" The response was much more groggy this time.

Silence fell on Genevieve once again, now taking it upon herself to get the brody potions master to help her.

"Right, that's it. I'm coming in" Not waiting for a reply, Genevieve let herself in.

Closing the door behind her, she was met with what could only be described as a bomb site. Clothes and furniture sprawled across the room and empty bottles of fire whiskey were thrown in a pile. Cautiously she set her papers in the dresser and surveyed the area, calling Severus's name, almost whisper-like, frightened at the scene in front of her.

Just as she was about to call his name again, Snape appeared from around the corner, his hair dishevelled and the smell of stale alcohol surrounding him.

"I said. Go. Away!" he slurred, throwing an empty bottle in her direction, missing slightly and smashing upon impact on the back wall.

Genevieve jumped, looking at the shards of glass that barely missed her, and back to Severus, fear lacing her eyes.

" Severus, what happened, this isn't you" Genevieve tried to reason with him as he approached her, pushing her against the wall, his hand gripping her throat keeping her in place.

Genevieve could smell the liquor off his breath, finding it hard to breathe.

"Get Out" he loosened his grip slightly, enough for Genevieve to push him away from her, catching her breath.

Severus stumbled back and fell over the coffee table in the centre of the room. Genevive looked at him with fear and sympathy in her eyes. She walked over to him and placed her hand softly on his shoulder, trying to aid him when he roughly shrugged her off, staggering off to the side.

" What on earth has gotten into you? Drinking your sorrows away. This is NOT what I expected, especially from you" Genevieve scolded the drunken man, standing her ground but still keeping her distance, afraid of what he might do.

" You don't understand" Severus cried out, sinking to the ground, crying quietly.

"Then help me to understand" Genevieve approached Severus, sitting down beside him as he rested his head against her shoulder, a whirlwind of emotions flooding his mind.

" She's gone. She's gone" he cried, repeating it over and over again, Genevieve running her hands through his hair to calm him.

" I know Severus. I know" she muttered, at war with herself on what she should do.

Genevieve wasn't prepared for those situations, but right now, she knew all Severus needed was a friend and a shoulder to cry on.

For on this day, 10 years ago Severus did something he could never forgive himself for doing to earn the Dark Lords' favour. Something that would take Genevieve years to understand but at the moment, she held him obliviously.

He murdered his mother.

~*~*~*~*~*~

And I have posted!! Hope you all enjoy it!!

*The_lost_flower*