𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣

[Chapter 4 - The Feast]

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

With the welcoming feast only days away, Genevieve was given the task of making the flower arrangements for the great hall.

She had spent all morning in the gardens picking flowers and greenery to decorate the usually bland eating area. With her basket full of luscious plants, she headed back to the great hall, admiring the wild life that surrounded her.

Genevieve strolled up the main aisle of the hall and placed her basket on the head table. She took out her wand and transfigured some spare chairs into delicate and elegant vases each representing their respected houses.

She took the flowers out of the wicker basket and placed them down in the table based on the values of the houses. See, Genevieve's family were known for their knowledge of the language of flowers.

Each family member was named after a flower. Her mother was a Rowle who married a Blackwell and had Genevieve.  Adelaide, her mother was soon disowned by her family as Cedar, her father was not a "respectable" pure blood. They gave birth to two beautiful daughters soon after marriage. The eldest, Amaryllis was an aruor with the ministry, achieving O's in all her N.E.W.T.S.

Genevieve was the only family member not to be named directly after a flower, there had been some distance cousins but none from the main branch. Her mother named her after her great-grandmother and keeping with tradition, she selected Valerian as her middle name.

"An accommodating disposition." Is what Genevieve recalls her childhood as.

"An accommodating disposition." Is what she was told when she told her parents she wanted to be a teacher, not an aruor like her elder sister.

Suddenly snapping back into reality, Genevieve started adjusting the flowers in the vases, her thoughts still lingering on her family. After an hour or two, she had finished the flowers.

For the Gryffindor tables, she chose black Poplar, oak leaves and monkshood, representing courage, bravery and chivalry.

For Hufflepuff, she decided on dock, ox-eye and rudbeckia, portraying patience and justice associated with the house.

For Ravenclaw, she selected walnut flower, clematis, marigolds and meadow lychnis depicting intelligence, creativity and wit.

And finally, for Slytherin, she picked out mountain laurel and mock orange signifying, ambition and resourcefulness in the house.

The staff table was decorated with clear vases full of ivy and some white flowers with different textures.

After finishing she stood back, admiring her work before heading down to the kitchens for some well-deserved lunch.