Chapter 11 ➵ I don't understand

Mike's Pov:

I don't understand... why Will just got up and left like that.

Once he stormed out, I think El took it as an opportunity to get all of my attention.

She scooted her chair closer to mine and laid her head on my shoulder.

For some reason I didn't feel the same spark when she was around.

I missed her, of course. But now it felt excruciatingly differently.

I remember kissing her and feelings a spark of happiness go through me.

But now when she does, I don't feel anything.

I could say I was losing my feelings for her, but that's just evil...

She moves away for a few months after telling me that she loves me, then when she comes back, I don't love her?

That's messed up.

Also, how could I not like her? Shes awesome.

She's beautiful, smart, cool, nice...

Um..

I can't think of anything else.

Shes... funny? Kind of. She doesn't really seem to understand humor yet. Which can be extremely difficult.

Whenever I told her a joke or something (when we talked on the walkies), she would get mad because "I lied to her".

I know, its stupid.

But she doesn't know any better..

The thing I really need to realize is that El is influenced very easily.

That's something didnt know when her and I first met.

If you tell El something, she takes it very seriously.

I guess that's gonna happen when you've been trapped inside of a room for 12 years of your life.

My mom says that it's because she trusts me.

She trusts me, so she believes everything I say.

Which is NOT GOOD because I'm not very smart.

Hopefully Will has been a good influence on her.

Look at it this way...

El was practically a baby when I found her in the woods.

If you raise babies in a specific way, they are going to grow up thinking that it's normal.

For example, parents tell their kids that Santa is real, which means that the child is going to believe in Santa until she/he is old enough to realize that Santa is only a thing to get children to behave.

So, therefore.... breaking a promise is the worst thing you could ever do in life.

Anyways,

I'm still stuck at this table with El on my shoulder, and Will still hasn't come back from upstairs.

Whatever El had to say, was really important to him.

He's shy, but he never runs away like that.

He's never been like that.

He always fesses up about whats bothering him, but in a shy/innocent way. If that makes any sense at all.

He's a lot braver than everyone thinks he is.

Before Will got taken in by the Mindflayer, he stood up to it. He told it to go away. He was very brave.

With all of his episodes, he walked towards it. Not away.

When he was trapped in the upsidedown, he never gave up. He kept running and never slowed down.

He's at least a lot braver than me..

I don't even think I would be alive if I was in his shoes.

I would most likely be dead, in a ditch, all decomposed, covered in inter dimensional slime and maggots.

~

"Hey Will, are you alright?" I hear Ms. Byers ask calmly.

I break away from my thoughts and turn my gaze towards the stairs.

Will was standing there with both hands covering his face.

"Yeah. Im just- tired from the jet lag." He says.

He's lying.

I can tell.

He has been crying. His eyes are all red and puffy, and his hair was messy.

..Whenever Will cried or got scared, he always messed up his hair for some reason.

He told me that he did that because it reminded him of something, but he never told me what.

Will slowly walks down the rest of the stairs and sits back down at the table.

"Well, you're able to sleep in for as long as you want sweetie, no school." My mom smiles.

Will gives a sad smile and pokes his food with his fork.

"Hey Will?" I ask.

"What?" He whispers.

I take a deep breath and pull my should away from El.

She gives me a frown/scowl and scoots her chair far away from mine.

Some reason, that made me smile. That she was away,

"Why did you lie? Whats wrong?" I ask worriedly.

"I didn't lie.. Im very tired." He shrugs.

"I bet, but that's not what's actually going on. Cmon Will, you can tell me anything. You know that." I push.

"Thanks Mike, but I don't think you can help me with this... issue."

"Oh, okay... but you can still tell me right? Friends dont lie."

"I'm not lying because I haven't told you anything Mike. Plus, sometimes friends do lie to protect— nevermind." He scoffs.

"What? To protect what?" I ask.

"Nothing.. I don't wanna talk about it. Im sorry."

"It's okay. I understand. But Im always here if you need me. Okay?" I place my arm around his body and give him a side hug.

"Thanks Mike."