Chapter 8: Awkward and Underdressed

Start from the beginning

While I placed the flowers in a vase, Niall seemed to be composing himself slightly just as Charli and Caleb both made their way into the entryway.

Just what I needed.

Initially when I told Charli about my date, she thought I was joking. She knew as well as I did how much Niall meant to me as a friend. She also called that he had a crush on me, over a year ago and the 'I told you sos I heard at the beginning of the week became quite infuriating. Now, to make matters worse she was present for this moment of weirdness between us.

"Wow, Niall you look-uhm, fancy," she said, sounding as if she were asking a question rather than complementing him.

I mentally face palmed as Caleb struggled to hold in his grin. Niall didn't seem to notice Charli's lack of conviction and he only thanked her quickly, as Caleb became more involved within the conversation.

"I don't think we've officially met," Caleb offered, as he outstretched his hand.

Niall took it in his, as they did the typical guy handshake and exchanged names.

"So, are you two going to different places or something?" Caleb asked, gesturing towards the differences between our outfits.

Niall nervously chuckled, trying to find the humor rather than mortification in Caleb's comment.

"I'm gonna change actually. I'll be right out." I said, and Niall nodded as I headed back to my bedroom.

I ransacked my closet, not wanting to leave Niall alone with those two for long. I picked out a black lace trimmed camisole dress and threw on my signature leather jacket. Before it was even properly positioned on my body, I practically ran back to my 'date' and flattened it out on the way.

Immediately when I rejoined them, they grew silent. Who knows what they said while I was gone? I internally groaned at the likelihood of their conversation making things worse for me tonight. They saw us off fairly quickly after I returned and Niall and I headed downstairs to his car. As gentlemanly as he was, he held every door for me and even opened the one on the passanger side to his Jeep. The ride to the restaurant was silent other than the overplayed radio music in the background.

When we pulled into the parking lot of a place called Toro, it took everything in me not to fake sick in that exact moment. I hated and I mean hated sushi. Not to mention that it was one of the most overpriced places in town.

Niall pulled into a spot fairly far from the door, since the parking lot was so jampacked with other cars. He turned off the ignition, finally stopping the awful music playing and looked over to me with a small smile.

"You like sushi, right?" he asked apprehensively, realizing he didn't know if I even enjoyed that type of food, which I didn't.

Despite the logic of kindly telling him I did not, I bit my tongue and nodded my head as convincingly as I could. I didn't attempt to speak, not knowing if my voice could pull it off just yet.

"Good," Niall sighed in relief.

I followed him to the front of the restaurant and we waited idly by for over half an hour, even though he had a reservation. We made small talk in the meantime mentioning school, classes and The Grind. It was nice enough to keep us entertained for the long wait time.

When we finally got led to our seats by a short and wrinkled oriental women, Niall graciously pulled out my seat for me and I thanked him as the waitress smiled in admiration. I would imagine she had not seen a gesture like that much, considering modern day men. Despite Niall's best efforts and amiable chivalry, I couldn't bring myself to feel any sort of spark. He was nice enough, but somehow my thoughts kept drifting to a curly head of brown hair and a raspy British accent. I hadn't seen or spoken to Harry since Halloween, but somehow in this moment, he was all I could think about. Something about the way his presence alone made me feel, did not resonate the same with Niall. So much for keeping what happened on Halloween, on Halloween.